Partitions Of The Hard Drive

Robotic_Rob 23:31 12 Feb 04

Can i split my hdd in to as many partitions as i want? Or is their a limit to how many i can have? Also what should i use to split it?

flecc 23:40 12 Feb 04

An IDE hard drive can only have a maximum of four primary partitions, the sort that are necessary for Windows operating systems. However, all logical (data) partitions are enclosed within just one of those primaries and you can have as many of those as you like within reason.

Therefore, you can have either four Windows operating systems only, or three Windows systems and as many logical (data) partitions as you want. The logical ones ALWAYS have to follow the primaries.

temp003 07:58 13 Feb 04

If you're not going to use more than one operating system, just have one primary partition on your hard drive (for the OS), and use the remaining space for an "extended partition". Within the extended partition, you can create as many logical drives as you like, subject to availability of drive letters.

If your disk already has stuff on it on a single partition, and you don't want to start all over again, use software such as Partition Magic to create partitions (and flecc, above, is the one to tell you all about it).

Robotic_Rob 21:15 16 Feb 04

Can you choose how much hdd goes to each partition using the xp os disc on setup? As i read somewhere you can use the disc to create partitions on setup of windows.

As you see i shall be buyin a new base unit soon, so im just findin out all the info i need to set it up correctly to what i want.

Is they also a way of only allowin certian users to use certain partitions?

temp003 23:29 16 Feb 04

Yes, you can choose the size of each partition.

Yes, you can create partitions during XP Setup. Since it's going to be a new hdd (or old hdd but you're prepared to start completely afresh), you can partition your hdd with XP, no need for extra software.

During XP setup, you'll be asked where to install XP. The existing partitions (if any) on the hdd will be shown. To delete a partition, highlight the partition, press D to delete. To create a partition, highlight any unpartitioned or unallocated space, and press C. You'll be prompted to enter the size of the partition.

In XP setup, it's best just to create the partition in which you're going to install XP (on a new hdd, it's the C partition). After creating it, highlight the new C and press Enter to install XP there. Choose file system to format it with (usually NTFS). Follow the prompts.

Then after XP installation is done and you boot into XP, right click My Computer, Select Manage, and in the Computer Management console, on the left expand Storage and select Disk Management.

On the right, bottom half, you should see your hdd called Disk0. Right click the unallocated space and select Create new partition. Follow the prompts. If you're going to create an Extended Partition, use all the remaining space for it, which is created immediately and no need to format. Then right click the free space in the new Extended Partition and select create logical drive. Specify size and follow the prompts - format with NTFS and wait for formatting to finish until you see the word "healthy". You can create other logical drives within the Extended Partition.

If you're going to use XP Pro, then you definitely can restrict access rights and degree of control over files and folders (including an entire partition). Disable Simple File Sharing, then right click a partition, Properties, Security tab, highlight the user in question, and deny him certain permissions.

If it's XP Home, not sure. In XP each user account has its personal profile (such as My Documents and program, desktop settings etc) in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username] folder. You can make the [username] folder or anything within the folder private (other users cannot see). But generally, all users on the local computer have access to all local drives (all partitions on the computer).

If it's Home, you can try booting into Safe Mode, logging on as Administrator, right click a partition and select the Security tab, and investigate to what extent you can change or deny the permissions. This is what I'm not sure about for XP Home.

These are "NTFS permissions". You must use NTFS file format if you want this function.

The other possibility is to create a user account within the Limited Users Group who have restricted rights and privileges (but these apply across the board and not to any specific partition).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…