partitions

Brian-318590 10:59 17 Apr 07

hi i have 4 partitions on a 80 gb internal hard drive can i delete one of the patitition to make 1 x 40 and 2x20 without losing the files on them ?

GaT7 11:46 17 Apr 07

Yes, the free Paragon Partition Manager 2005 click here should do it. Prior to merging the 2 partitions, make a backup of any data, emails, photos, etc. to removable media/external hard drive just to be on the safe side. G

GaT7 11:50 17 Apr 07

Don't delete any partition, but 'merge' 2 adjacent ones instead. In PPM2005 > Wizards > Merge partitions. G

Brian-318590 13:01 17 Apr 07

i,ve just done that and formating new partition,but before that it only showed up as 19 gb as it was before how can i update this

Brian-318590 13:15 17 Apr 07

i formated the new drive and its been reconised but i wanted to add it to the c drive which is the primary operating system drive and it won,t let me do it ,is it possible ?

GaT7 13:16 17 Apr 07

I don't quite understand, so will try to clarify a few things...

'i,ve just done that'
* Do you mean you merged 2 adjacent partitions using PPM?

'formating new partition'
* Formatting wasn't required, but shouldn't do any harm apart from losing all data on the partition(s) (hope you backed-up or can afford to lose the data!).

'but before that it only showed up as 19 gb as it was before how can i update this'
* Are you saying 2x20Gb merged partitions are only showing up as half that amount?

Can you be clearer & use more punctuation/paragraphs please? G

Sebastian Ereira 13:16 17 Apr 07

not sure sorry ask someone else

Brian-318590 13:20 17 Apr 07

ok i,ve used partition manager and formated the new merged drive.the new drive is now showing the correct size,now can i add the new partition to the c drive being the operating system partition

Brian-318590 13:21 17 Apr 07

sorry drive being the two merged partitions

GaT7 13:52 17 Apr 07

OK, I think I know what you mean. You'd like to expand the C: drive (which contains the OS) by merging the adjacent partition. I think only something like Partition Magic can do this, but it's quite expensive (even less recommended for a single use!). If I can find a free program that'll do it, I'll post it.

Another option is to backup everything, use a partitioning tool (like click here) to get C: & the other partitions the sizes you want them, & reinstall the OS afresh.

Btw, why do you need a bigger C: partition? G

Sebastian Ereira 21:59 01 May 07

have you fixed it yet ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac