partitions

garabaldi 17:20 16 Apr 05

hi.....ime a pc novice why is there a need to partition a hard drive?

QuickHare 17:31 16 Apr 05

Think of a harddrive as a house. If you move into a house that's freshly built, you'll see brickwork, and it'll be cold. Also, there's so much space, but the uneven floor will make it difficult to get anything in.

Partitioning is like adding floors and walls in the house. This allows rooms to be made, but how things are stored are all over the place.

Formatting prepares the drive for use by decorating the rooms in a way stuff can be stored nicely.

You partition the harddrive to tell the computer where the limits of the disk are, and then format it to allow the operating system (eg Windows, and there may be more than one system installed, but that's advanced topics) to know how things are stored on the drive.

Does this make sense? I've been telling people this for years, and so I hope it does!

QuickHare 17:35 16 Apr 05

As a follow-up to crx1600, other needs include filing. With the house thing, you wouldn't have a kitchen in a bedroom. It's be wise to keep it seperate. Partitioning keeps files seperated, so Windows can go on one drive, your personal files on another, installed programs on another, etc. This can make backups easier - most of your stuff can be on one drive only.

But the only two partitions I'd suggest are a partition for Windows files, and one for yours. Maybe a third for applications to install to, but that could be lumped in with Windows' stuff...

bremner 17:41 16 Apr 05

You have to create at least one partition on a drive for it to work.

Other reasons are

1.that you want more than one O/S

2. Some users like to split up the hard drive into O/S partition, pagefile partition, application partition and data partitons. This can be in the hope of gaining a speed improvement or to provide a degree of protection in the event of problems.

A drive can have up to four partitions. These can all be primary partitions which are bootable or up to three primary partitions and an extended partition.

An extended partition can then itself be partitioned to give a total of 24 partitions. (using logical volume letters c - z)

woodchip 17:43 16 Apr 05

You can save Docs Video Photo's etc so if you have to reload Windows you do not lose them. Also you can Save on disc usage space. Depending on how big the Drive and the File system you use Fat32 or NTFS

bremner 17:45 16 Apr 05

Personally I would much rather use an external drive as back up than multi partitions.

It does not matter how many partitions you have if the drive goes west so does all your data.

garabaldi 17:46 16 Apr 05

ok ure advice has been great......ime going to fit a 200 gb drive how many partitions do u suggest ?

woodchip 17:47 16 Apr 05

PS if you Load Programs to a different Partition to the operating system and Have to reload Windows you will have to reload most of you Programs if not all, as when you load a Program it writes to the Registry and puts some files on the drive with the Operating System on it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 16 Apr 05

Have as many as you wish it depends on what you want to use you computer for, seperating op system documents and programs is a good idea, remember only 26 letters in the alphabet

1. c:\ for operating system

2. d:\ a clean copy of c:
3. e:\ one where all my programs are installed to instead of the default C:\program files

4. f:\for all my documents photos etc

5. g:\ one for the music files

6. h:\ one for video editing

7. i:\ backup for files on f: and g:

woodchip 17:59 16 Apr 05

On that for me, Four

bremner 17:59 16 Apr 05

Max 24 as you can't have A or B

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…