Partition's....

Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk 13:07 12 Nov 03

After reading a recent post in here, i was thinking about partitioning my hard drive, an 80gb which is about half full...

Any how, i was left wondering what happen's if i reformat the drive with windows on, to things like the registy for my games and anti virus software? Can that be saved somewhere or would i have to back it up before the reformat then import it when windows is re-installed?

pj123 13:18 12 Nov 03

If you reformat your hard disk everything on it will be lost. If you go here click here and download ranish it will partition your drive without loss of anything on it.

So everything gets wiped off?

pj123 13:33 12 Nov 03

Yes, you will then have to reinstall everything you had including the motherboard drivers, for which you will need all the CDs.

hugh-265156 13:36 12 Nov 03

partiotio magic is easy to use and you wont lose anything.

click here

click here for videos on how to use it.

also try acronis partition expert click here both are easy to use

hugh-265156 13:38 12 Nov 03

excuse spelling lol

I think we got a bit confused!

If i had my PC partitioned and i formatted the partition with windows on is what i meant!

But i would still like to know what happen's to the registry though, would i have to back it up?

DieSse 13:45 12 Nov 03

Whatever partition you format, you lose everything in it - the whole lot - nothing is left of any kind!! - it's empty!!

pj123 13:46 12 Nov 03

No, there is no confusion. If you reformat a disk or even a partition on a disk it will lose everything on it. You will end up with a blank disk.

DieSse 13:48 12 Nov 03

Backing up the registry is useless in the case you describe - the registry holds information on exectly how the system is set up at that point in time.

So if you re-installed Windows, the information in a backed up registry would not apply to the new installation - which would have a new registry created for it.

dth 14:23 12 Nov 03

I think the answer that you are looking for is:-

if your hard disc is split into two (say) Drive C and Drive D - with windows and programs on Drive C and evrything else on Drive D. And you need to re-install Windows - you can just wipe (format) Drive C and re-install Windows and your programs - all your data will still be there on Drive D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…