PartitionMagic 5.01

spuds 12:52 18 Oct 03

Recently I have have made changes to my computer system, by upgrading and dual installing hard-drives and operating systems.Drive1 consists of a Maxtor 120gb H/D using Windows XP Pro. The Drive2 consists of another Maxtor 20gb H/D using WME, now full to capacity.

I intend to partion my Drive1, so that I can use a Linux system, as a try-out.Checking through some computer magazines, I have found a 'full working' programme of Powerquest PartitionMagic 5.01 as a freebie cover disk.I understand that the latest version of PartitionMagic is version 8.0, which is available for about £40.00/£45.00.I do not want to spend any extra money,at the present time, if it is totally un-neccessary.

Question: Can I use 5.01 with XP with satisfactory results, and if so,what further advice would you give, so that I can achieve my objectives.Thanks,regards and best wishes as always.

Brian-336451 12:59 18 Oct 03

I think version 5 pre-dates XP. If you search for Partition Magic 8, you can download it from the USA for about£30 some-odd which is damn good value.

Version 8 is about as different from 5 as a Ford Prefect is from a Jaguar.

I fervently believe it is worth the money.

Simsy 13:15 18 Oct 03

I'm pretty sure you can load it onto your WinMe system and use it to partition the disc that has the XP on it.

Good luck,

Regards,

Sismy

leo49 13:20 18 Oct 03

If you run version5 in Windows,it's likely you'll have problems. - support for ME and 2k only arrived at version6,with XP support coming with version7.

I seem to recall,though, that flecc once said you could use the the PM5 floppies created on a 98 machine to run the program in minimal/dos mode with later OS's.[I'm not 100% sure of that though].

TECHNODIMWIT 20:27 18 Oct 03

just found my floppy disc's of pm5.

they don't allow changes to partitions, possibly
cant see NTFS, only FAT, didn't even give me the choice of converting.

i know they work in Win98 and WinME, so i suspect the prog is to old.

mark

spuds 23:08 18 Oct 03

Seems as though 5.01 will not work with XP,and that I need the latest versions 7.0 or the much better 8.0 for a compatible solution.

Been checking various internet outlets for prices, and the best price in the UK seems to be about £44.94 for version 8.0 or £23.99 for version 7. Stateside seem to vary in price from $48.72-$69.00. One company as version 8 oem on special offer at $23.94, but they do not deliver to the UK only USA and Canada.

Looks like my objectives will have to wait till christmas,hoping that Santa deliver me a version 8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…