Partitioning - what is it?

Pier1 15:02 28 Jan 03

...and why do people do it? What is the best way?

I'm planning to increase the size of hard drive on my PC to 60GB (if I can find a cheap decent 60GB HDD) and in my last thread about it people said I should partition it.

So someone please explain to me - what is partitioning for and why is it good?

Squall 15:07 28 Jan 03

is basically making one disk appear as two or more seperate drives.

It has many uses, but probably the most useful is the ability that it gives you to keep your data seperate from your operating system, and programms. This means that should you have to reinstall your OS your data will be there waiting for you when you have finished.

Partitioning doesn't protect you agaist hard disk failure though, as all your data is still really on the same disk.

Diemmess 15:16 28 Jan 03

Adding to Squall's excellent reply another advantage.........

If you keep your c: or o/s drive to a sensible limit then something like Norton Ghost will allow you to make an image to store against the time when the O/S falls over or gets ragged.

Both making and restoring the image will be quick and easy if you have a smaller rather than larger drive dedicated to the operating system.

Pier1 15:19 28 Jan 03

So what's the best way to do it?

Lú-tzé 15:25 28 Jan 03

If you have a new disk, then use fdisk - click here for a good, clear guide.

If you have an operating system on it, go with Partition magic from PowerQuest - £30 in PC World at the moment and excellent value at that.

Pier1 15:35 28 Jan 03

hgrock 15:39 28 Jan 03

you happy? then click resolved if you don't mind it helps, thanks

woodchip 21:36 28 Jan 03

I would suggest Partition magic it's more user friendly if this post repeats itself it's PCA to blame

spikeychris 21:44 28 Jan 03

Say that again woodchip..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…