Partitioning an "in use" USB HD

john bunyan 14:25 08 Sep 10

I have a USB 500 gig USB Hd,( "L" drive) on which I keep an ATI image of each of my master HD's two partitions, and some other "normal" files, such as a mirror image copy of "My Documents" and my eMail back up. In use about 150 Gig.
I would like to partition it such that I have about 200 Gig for ATI Images, and the other for normal files and copies.
I have the 64 bit Easus Partition Manager.I am not sure how to start the operation - presumably make space? I would prefer not to have to format the HD, but would, reluctantly, do so, case need as I have a slave drive as a cloned back up as well. I would like to end up with "L" 200 Gig and "M" 300 gig.

john bunyan 14:26 08 Sep 10

PS W7 OS.

woodchip 14:32 08 Sep 10

I Use Acronis Disc Manager 10 it would be easy with that, but no Idea about the one you have got. if you create a Image on the Drive, its easy to then drag things to other partition after. But with Easus Partition Manage I have no Idea as to how secure it would do the Job without loosing anything

MAJ 14:45 08 Sep 10

Using Easus, click on the L: drive and choose the Resize/Move option. Move the slider down on the GUI until L = 200GB and Unallocated Space = 300GB and click OK. When the process finishes, select the Unallocated Space and click the "Create Partition" option, you will be able to give it the Letter M in that process.

You know the usual warnings, john bunyan. BACKUP before doing it.

john bunyan 15:01 08 Sep 10

Thank you woodchip, and Maj
I will back up - I have my main data partition plus a recent clone of the primary drive, so would not loose anything vital , even with a format.Will mark as resolved.

MAJ 15:18 08 Sep 10

Happy to help, john bunyan. BTW it can also be done without third-party software, in Vista and W7 Disk Management.

john bunyan 16:58 08 Sep 10

Worked very well! I just find Easus a bit more user frienly eg allocating partition letters.
In another thread I commented that trying to defragment a drive that contains images seems very long winded, as I suspect the defrag is puzzled by a couple if big image files. Now, I can keep the images seperate from day to day ,easy to access, data and back ups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now