Partitioning of a single hard drive

wobblymike 12:49 11 Jan 06

Just before Xmas I contributed to a discussion on this Forum with a number of other regular contributors on the pros and cons of partitioning. I have always been very pro however I have encountered a problem which may shift that position. I maintain the system of a friend who has a single 80GB HDD fitted which is partitioned into five with C (obviously) being the OS. The OS got corrupted and I wanted to reinstall it however I do not have a utility or know of a way to reformat a particular partition on a single HDD without formatting the whole drive. Does anyone know if it can be done.

PS I tried reinstalling the OS and deleting data from the partition prior to reinstalling but that left all sorts behind.

FormatKing 13:01 11 Jan 06

hi wobblymike
if you created 5 partitions and installed o/s on C:\ then you should have d,e,f,g for other patitions (unless cd or dvd drives have been allocated one of these)ie if dvd drive was d your other partitions would be e,f,g,h
if you did not format the other partitions windows cannot see them
if you have and can see them you just select which partition you wish to format
so if you want to format c partition to do a clean install of o/s boot from o/s cd and from command promt simply format C: this will not remove any data on the other partitions

leo49 13:03 11 Jan 06

Of course it can be done - that's one of the major advantages of partitioning.
You've just got to ensure the obvious ie format and reinstall on 'C'.
XP disc will recognise the partitions and ask you which drive you want to intall to and whether you wish to format,etc first.

wobblymike 18:42 11 Jan 06

ok thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…