Partitioning questions

Jdoki 11:19 03 Dec 04

Hi

I've never been a fan of partitioning a hard drive, but have decided to bite the bullet and do it (maybe)!

I was planning on having the following areas...
C: for Windows
P: for programs/apps
F: for work files etc

So my questions:

If I have an active C: partition JUST for Windows XP Home and a P: drive JUST for applications and games, is there any way of recreating/retaining links and functionality between the apps in P: and the OS in C: if I resinstall Windows at a later date?

My concern is that I create a P: drive and install all my games and apps in there - so I don't lose the save files/settings if I wipe the OS, but surely some DLL's etc are placed in the Windows folders even when installing to P: - these will be lost when I reinstall the OS, also links in the start menu etc will be gone.

I have too many small utilities, programs etc to keep reinstalling them every time the OS needs a refresh (I install/uninstall a lot of software and drivers frequentley so my OS gets 'messy' very quickly).

I don't mind going through the driver update hassle, but I'd prefer to avoid reinstalling stuff like Half Life 2 - which takes an age to install and is now crammed with extra maps etc, or something like Everquest 2 which is a huge install, requires massive patches (which would have to be downloaded again) and which I've spent a lot of time tuning the graphics settings for my PC.

Thanks for any help/advice.

pj123 11:45 03 Dec 04

"My concern is that I create a P: drive and install all my games and apps in there - so I don't lose the save files/settings if I wipe the OS, but surely some DLL's etc are placed in the Windows folders even when installing to P: - these will be lost when I reinstall the OS, also links in the start menu etc will be gone."

You are correct, the Registry will still be on the C: drive so anything you install on P: will still put files on C:

You can't win, you would still have to reinstall your apps again. Maybe one way round it would be:

Next time you do a complete clean install on C: (including all your apps) immediately make a copy of it on to P: using something like xxclone from click here and then do not use P: at all. The next time you need to redo the C: drive just make P: the boot drive, reformat C: and then use xxclone again to copy back again.

I have a completely separate hard disk with a copy of my system on it, but it is not connected. If anything goes wrong with my C: I can connect the clone drive as master and reboot. Then all I have to do is reformat the old one and clone it back again.

Sounds complicated but does that make sense?

Jdoki 13:08 03 Dec 04

Thanks pj. My suspicions confirmed!

Your idea is good - I've used Norton Ghost in the distant past but will try xxclone.

I might look in to making a 'core' image - by installing the common utilities/apps etc and taking an image of that, at least it'll give me a starting point - even if it doesn't provide a complete solution.

I don't suppose anyone knows some good software to audit a system?

I wouldn't mind getting a print out or file dump of what's on my machine!

Cheers.

woodchip 13:17 03 Dec 04

To the first qestion NO. Your best bet is do what I do get a Image Program Like Acronis True Image, Free on a lot of Mag discs Make Image of C:\ save to other partition then copy to CD or DVD the Image can be split to fit more than one disc

Peter 15:22 03 Dec 04

I think PJ123 & woodchip have answered your question and I agree with woodchip about making an image of your C: drive. Why not make an image of each partition on a regualar basis (Once a week, two week, month etc - choose one that suits) and store it on another hard disk as well as to CDs/DVDs. That way you don't have to reinstall your OS, programmes, drivers or data. You just reload your images and you are back to where you were when you took them.

Peter.

Jdoki 16:55 03 Dec 04

Thanks for your advice guys.

I'm gonna close this one down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…