partitioning or new hard drive and second OP

Dave7312 16:34 18 Sep 05

I have a new computer running windows xp
now on my existing scanner, a nikon LS30 the ICE function does not operate.
I have been informed by Nikon that they do not support this scanner any more and that they have no plans to issue a patch to allow the ICE function to operate.
It seems that I have two alternatives
a) To partition my hard drive and load Windows 98 which I am informed will fully support my scanner or
b)Install a second hard drive and load w98 onto that.
My questions are
1) How does one do either of the above procedures,
2) How does one arrange for the drivers etc. to locate the scanner and
3) Where can I get a copy of w98? and how do I load it onto the new hard drive or the partition should I elect to go down that route

bremner 18:36 18 Sep 05

A copy of W98 will cost £60-£70 click here

A scanner that supports XP - less than £50 click here

keith-236785 20:35 18 Sep 05

i agree with bremner, easiest way would be just to buy a new scanner, but if you are determined to use your existing then........

to partition you would need partitioning software such as Partition Magic. though the september issue of computer shopper had a very good partitioning software package on the cover disc (paragon partition manager).

you would need two partitons, the best order (in fact you cant do it the other way) is to install windows 98 first on drive C:

then install windows XP on drive D: (do not allow it to upgrade your win98 setup) this would creat a dual boot system and provide you with a boot menu to choose which windows to boot into.

all the drivers for your hardware will be needed for windows 98, most of it will be supported by XP and no drivers (probably) will be needed.

regarding the where to buy a copy of windows 98, i have an old windows98SE which i could sell you for a lot less than £60, or you could try Ebay (beware of copies though), computer fairs are another source but be careful again, or buy a copy of Micro Mart out every thursday, £1.90 and has a classified section in the back (buy,sell,exchange. do a search online for windows 98 and trawl through the ads.

regarding the drivers for the scanner, they will (or should) be on a cd (or floppy disk) that came with the scanner, put the disc in and run the setup (win98) quite simple to install drivers.

good luck

Dave7312 09:49 19 Sep 05

The OP on my computer came ready installed. I do not have a copy of XP on a disc.
It means therefore that I shall have to install a second Hard Drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…