Partitioning NTFS Harddrive

Pikachu 21:37 20 Oct 03

I have an 80 Gb Western Digital Hardrive which is runnng Windows XP SP1 and its on a NTFS hardrive. I want to install Windows 2003 Server on the 2nd Partition. (Not Worried About Size of Partition)

The problem is i've found that BootMagic (BM) that comes with Partition Magic 8.0 is not comptable with NTFS, as BM won't install on that drive, tells me its not supported and the drive has either have to be FAT or FAT32 for Partition Magic to work.

Is there a way round this as I don't want to format my current drive and make it to a FAT as I have to much data on it.

Will I need to buy a new drive and make that FAT and then put the NTFS as slave? Will this then make BootMagic work?

Many Thanks for all responses.
Dark Cloud

clucker 21:47 20 Oct 03

Is it not the same as win2000, if the partition is already created (using partition magic), you can boot from cd & choose the required partition during set up

Pikachu 13:10 21 Oct 03

Thanks for that. So you saying if I create a partition of any amount I can boot into that sector and install the OS on that.

Will I need to install BootMagic so that I can choose which OS I want to boot into on startup, or will I need to do this in Windows XP.

pj123 13:22 21 Oct 03

Download the free Disk Manager ranish from click here works with xp and will partition without losing any data.

temp003 15:39 21 Oct 03

2003 Server (like Windows 2000 and XP) has its own ability to dual boot with a previous OS.

All you need is a separate partition for installing it. Just use your PM to create a new partition (no need to set it active), and install w2k3 server to the new partition, which will automatically create the dual boot. Your active partition (where all the boot files are) will still be the existing XP partition. With this kind of dual boot, you can see the contents of the other partition whichever OS you're in.

You don't really need Boot Magic. The dual boot created by Boot Magic operates by having 2 active partitions (for 2 OS's), and every time you start the computer, Boot Magic kicks in and lets you choose which active partition to boot from. This way, when you're in one OS, the other partition is hidden from view.

If you want to use Boot Magic, click here and follow the instructions. You just need to create a small FAT partition for installing Boot Magic.

clucker 18:55 21 Oct 03

I can only speak from experiance of win2000, if you boot from cd set up will show any created partitions, sizes.. etc.. & you can choose which you install to .

Lasse 19:57 21 Oct 03

I tried partition magic on a NTFS HD and it ruined it. It erased the boot record. Powerquest were no help at all. I have used PM a few times before with a Fat 32 HD and it works fine, but after my experience I will never use it again.

Pikachu 21:37 23 Oct 03

Thanks for all responses. I've got two partitions now one running WinXP and the other Win2003.

How can I make the WinXp first bootup as currently Win2003 is the main boot. The boot.ini file on C:\ drive only has WinXP on it.

Note: There isn't a boot.ini file in the E:\ drive where Win2003 is installed

ollie < one> 21:52 23 Oct 03

v

Pikachu 09:42 24 Oct 03

Refresh

Pikachu 09:49 24 Oct 03

Done - Went into Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery and chose WinXP as default

Thanks all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…