Partitioning A Maxtor One Touch

Buttons Man 15:11 07 Oct 04

I want to partition a recently purchased Maxtor 250gb external drive.
Going through Control Panel>Performance and Maint>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management doesn't allow me to create a new partition, the option is 'geyed out'
I do not want to have to purchase something like partition Magic for what i think will be a one off event.
I am running XP Home.
Any bright ideas greatly accepted.

daxian 15:42 07 Oct 04

hi buttons man ....
i have just got one of these myself and had no problems going through the process you have described ...
if you are still unable to partition the drive by this method you could use maxtors own utility ,download it from their website.
maxblast or powermax utility,will allow you to create any size partition you require,and fits on a floppy disk ...hope this is of help, daxian.

Buttons Man 17:54 07 Oct 04

Thought I had solved this with daxian's advice, but went off this when I saw that it involved changing the bios, not too keen on that kind of thing, never seems to go right for me, so back to the orginal posting:-
I want to partition a recently purchased Maxtor 250gb external drive. Going through Control Panel>Performance and Maint>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management doesn't allow me to create a new partition, the option is 'geyed out' I do not want to have to purchase something like partition Magic for what i think will be a one off event. I am running XP Home. Any bright ideas greatly accepted.

mosfet 18:10 07 Oct 04

Have you right clicked new drv & initialised?

SEASHANTY 19:51 07 Oct 04

Info on Maxtor website click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…