Partitioning HD under Win98

webdfeet 11:24 04 Nov 07

I have a nine year old Dell350MHz running Win98SE, with a small 10 gig hard drive. About six years ago the original HD packed up and we installed a new one, using the DOS based (? I think) program to partition the drive into two sections, C and D. As a result of making one or two wrong selections, we ended up with a C sector (containing the Win98 files) of just 2 gig in size; the remaining free 7 gig becoming the D sector.
Inevitably, after six further years of running, the C sector is almost cram full with various operating files (we keep our data and favourite progs in the D section). I'm presently running with just 180Mb of free space, despite weekly defrag of the sector.
I could really do with making the partitions equal in size, or thereabouts. I'm not in a position yet to upgrade the machine and in any case its been a great workhorse. Are there any software programs to recommend, that would help with the process of reformatting/repartitioning? I've looked up one or two (e.g Bootit, MasterBooter, etc) but don't know enough about them to go ahead.

Jollyjohn 11:47 04 Nov 07

I can recomend Partition Magic. This software has been included on cover discs in the past. The free trial available to download will do all the steps except the actual partitioning!

martjc 11:48 04 Nov 07

...something useful here.

click here

A bit of advice: partitioning a hard disk is not for the faint hearted. You may be better off getting someone more knowledgeable to do it for you - do you have a friend with more knowledge than you?

Whatever you decide, understand that if the process fails, it fails BIG STYLE! So make sure everything you want to keep is backed up first.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 04 Nov 07

Partition manager is ideal for your problem works with FAT32 drives click here

However playing with partitions is fraught with danger, make sure you have everything important backed up first.

helen_312 11:48 04 Nov 07

Acronis disk director is a great program and will expand your C drive by taking space from the D drive or merging both drives into one.

Unfortunatley it is a program that has to be bought. They are some older versions on computer magazine disks that would do the job splendidly for you. If you can find one.

I'm sure I have an old disk knocking around somewhere;-)

webdfeet 12:54 04 Nov 07

Thanks for your replies and I will have a look at all those tools. I am not overly scared of doing the work, I have other backup facilities for all the files, also all the original system and drivers disks (and updates) plus my husband's work colleagues for brains-picking, so all the belts and braces should be in place to take the plunge in due course....yep, certainly know how hairy it could get!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5