Partitioning a Hard Drive (Sounds painful!!!)

Whammo 15:46 15 Mar 04

I want to be able to partition my hard drive to run two separate operating systems. If I do this will I be able to transfer easily my files and documents from one partition to the other?

Diodorus Siculus 15:50 15 Mar 04

Partition magic is by far the easiest program to do this with.

Create 3 partitions: one for the first OS, one for the second, and one to share files / folders etc between so that they are available to each.

What is your current setup and what do you intend to install?

Whammo 15:55 15 Mar 04

Thanks DS.

I just want to set up Windows XP in a new partition, then migrate the files accessed under the old operating system (W98SE) and then close down W98 when done.

Chegs ® 15:57 15 Mar 04

Its also adised to partition large hdd's,it creates smaller clusters,and so aides wasted space,maintenance(defrag,etc)

Diodorus Siculus 16:01 15 Mar 04

You need to backup your data: click here for details before installing Partition Magic.

Then create the paritions you want.

Install XP using the custom install; put it onto a new partition.

Restart and you will have a choice of 98 / XP.

You will need to reinstall your software on XP; data can generally be imported.

I would keep Win98 on the machine if you have the hard disk space - it can be useful to have a second OS.

JerryJay 16:04 15 Mar 04

Just wrote down the setps of using partition magic for what you want to do: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…