PARTITIONING THE HARD DRIVE

trying 17:08 17 Jun 08

When I buy a new PC with Windows already loaded, how do I partition the hard drive without losing the OS? I understood you have to format the hard drive first, if so won’t that remove the Windows operating program?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 17 Jun 08

I understood you have to format the hard drive first, if so won’t that remove the Windows operating program?

You cane some software that will partition the drive without losing data, Partition magic will do it, however it is still a risky procedure and you MUST make sure you back everything up to an external source first.

rogerdavis 17:48 17 Jun 08

computers come with the hard drive already partitioned. Acer do this and usually split the drive 50/50.

Acronis disk director is an excellent tool for partitioning a hard drive that already has windows on it but will not do any damage.

trying 11:57 18 Jun 08

Regarding an external hard drive- I have read in the forum somewhere that you cannot reinstall from a external drive?

If I buy Vista how much partition space do I need
for the OS Vista?

ambra4 12:18 18 Jun 08

Why do people still partition hard drives?

It the same drive that you are saving all your data on if it fails, all will be lost even if you have 1 or 6 Partitions

It a lot saver to save your data on a second drive internal or external than worry about partition the

drive

trying 12:40 18 Jun 08

If I do a complete backup onto an external hard drive will my Windows and Internet connections be saved and work when I reinstall along with files?

trying 12:44 18 Jun 08

I thought partitioning was to install the OS Windows and protect from a virus, worm infection?

woodchip 13:51 18 Jun 08

The Problem on Partitioning your Hard Drive can make it as yor Restore CD etc will no longer Work.

Best way round this is two Acronis Programs.

First Acronis True Image, you create a Image then copy this to a External USB drive or a internal Slave drive.

Second item is Acronis Disc Director Suit 10. You can resize the partitions or and create a new one without removing your OS or Software.

If you want to create a new Partition you have to make the first one smaller the create a new one with the space created

woodchip 13:53 18 Jun 08

You can reinstall from a External USB drive as long as the Image is on the first partition of that drive, for Acronis True Image to see it

trying 15:28 20 Jun 08

Thanks everyone will look into back up and partition programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video