Partitioning Hard Drive

Neillbb 08:27 27 Sep 04

All.

I have made a mistake when formating my new hard drive (40Gb. I initially set the partition to 50% (approx 20Gb), and then decided not to partition. However, even after deleting and restarting, no matter what I do, I can only access slightly less than 20Gb.

Any ideas on how to recover the missing 20Gb?

NB

Diodorus Siculus 08:42 27 Sep 04

How did you do it?

click here for a guide if you used fdisk.

Boot with XP CD if you used XP and choose the option to partition.

Do you have an OS installed now? If XP, right click on "my computer" and choose manage, then disk management and you will see the disk there. You will be able to format the remaining partition and thus have two disks of 30gb each.

Please give more info about your hardware / software.

Neillbb 08:48 27 Sep 04

Hi

I'm using ME, after a number of attempt, I managed to load the OS. Do you think that I can recover the remaing 20Gb from within ME?

NB

Diodorus Siculus 09:16 27 Sep 04

No, I don't think so. As far as I can tell, you will need to go back to DOS with a boot disk - eg from click here - but I am open to correction. That is, unless you want to buy something like Partition Magic.

click here for a free otpion which you have nothing to lose by trying I think.

norman47 11:30 27 Sep 04

Diodorus Siculus is correct.

Boot with the dos disk and enter fdisk. Pick y to enable large disk support. Now pick option one and enter. This will give you 3 or 4 separate categories. Pick Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition and enter. This should scan the hidden partition and make it usable.

To check it has been done use option 4 to display the partitions. Make sure the C drive is active, it should have an A next to status.

The machine will reboot. Let windows load. Go to my computer and right click the new partition. Scroll down and pick format. The new partition should now be usable.

Neillbb 13:23 27 Sep 04

OK Guys. Thanks for the info. I'll try it out when I get home..

Rgs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…