Partitioning an external HD.

Meshuga 16:20 26 Oct 06

I have a Western Digital 60gb external hard drive which at present has an image of my PC hard drive on it created by Acronis TI. This uses 24gb space. I would like to partition the remaining free space, possibly using partition magic or a similar prog. Can I do that without formatting the hd and starting with a blank drive? and how easy/difficult is partition magic to use bearing in mind that I have never done this before. My pc has xp home sp2. Any suggestions welcome.

Bob The Nob© 16:21 26 Oct 06

Use partition Magic, is simple and easy and wont erase the drive.

Bob The Nob©

Meshuga 16:26 26 Oct 06

Bob The Nob Thanks for that. Is there a free version of Partion or if not do you know the cost please?

Technotiger 16:26 26 Oct 06

In a word - Yes.

Technotiger 16:28 26 Oct 06

In a word - Yes.

Partition Magic .... click here

Meshuga 16:28 26 Oct 06

Technotiger, thanks for your prompt reply.

Meshuga 16:33 26 Oct 06

Tech, thanks too for the link. Meshuga.

Meshuga 17:05 26 Oct 06

Since posting the above I have come across a CD Of Acronis Partition Expert. Does anyone have knowledge of this product or should I stick to Partition Magic? It is a cd by a software company named Altova and was on the front cover of Personal Computer World some time ago.

ed-0 17:13 26 Oct 06

" front cover of Personal Computer World some time ago."

Acronis is an excellent programme to partition a hard drive and more.

But be aware that most cover disks have limitations in what they can do and are usually time limited. In other words it may have expired.

Technotiger 17:26 26 Oct 06

I wouls advise you to go for Partition Magic as in my click here.

Meshuga 17:32 26 Oct 06

ed-0, thanks for reply, no mention on disk of time limitation but will play safe and stick with PM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…