Partitioning for beginners

Willow12 19:07 31 May 03

Having checked postings on this subject I have decided to partition my hard drive. At the moment I haven't got any partitioning software, which leads to my first question.

I use Windows XP (home edition) and wondered if this limited me to Partition Magic 8 or will one of its predecessors do the job on XP? Cost is my main motive for this as I probably won't use it too much, but want it to be a lot more flexible than just doing it through XP.

Also linked to this I need advice on a good Backup utility as again, I have none! I wouldn't like to start partitioning before I had backed up, thus the link.

Any general leads on partitioning will also be most welcome.

Finally is there a GoBack version for XP, as so many of the advisor experts seem to rely on it it would appear to be a good thing to have.

I have an 80GB HDD and my PC expertise is 2/10. Although that may be a little generous, especially if VoG only gives himself 5/10!! Come on VoG don't be so modest!

STEVE71163 19:12 31 May 03

I bought partition magic about a month ago now and you do get data keeper with it as well now so i considered it a good investment. I think argos has it for £39.99 at the moment! Xp does have a restore facility which has saved me on a few ocasions :0)

Willow12 19:17 31 May 03

I am not looking fo prices for Partition Magic 8 (I can get it for £34.99 by the way). Just not sure about spending that much for something I may only use a few times, if that!

leo49 19:18 31 May 03

PM7 is OK for XP[version8 monkeys around with the GUI and adds support for up to 160gb.Personally I wouldn't touch Go-Back with your bargepole but I'm a Drive Image fan.

Regards

Lú-tzé 19:23 31 May 03

Well, if you are willing to reinstall Windows from scratch, you can use the partitioning tools that come with XP.

Willow12 19:26 31 May 03

Exactly what I don't want to do!

Willow12 20:12 31 May 03

up

otubby1 23:07 31 May 03

I've just upgraded to XP Pro. What happened to Drivespace??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…