Partitioning

marty03321 20:09 01 Aug 08

I built a machine last year for my mum. All has been going well, until I realized that when I partitioned the hard drive I didn't give enough space for a growing system. I've been avoiding it for a while now, but the time has come, as there isn't space for software upgrades now...

I have looked in the bios and there is nothing that I can see to change the size of the partitions.

Will I have to format and start again?

Or is there something I've missed?

Maybe there is a program available?

Thanks Martin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 01 Aug 08

"I didn't give enough space for a growing system."

operating system? vista, XP?

you can move various folders from the root drive to another partition to give you more space. click here

there is also no need to take the install option of most software as c:\program files, you can install programs to another partition.

Vista has its own built in partition manager XP will need another program but it is dangerous to mess with the op system partition BACK UP FIRST.

skidzy 22:56 01 Aug 08

Partition Logic will resize for you for free.click here

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says....BACKUP first.

woodchip 23:02 01 Aug 08

Acronis Disc Director Suite 10will change the size without reinstalling if you have plenty of room on other partition. But would suggest you backup important info first

marty03321 11:18 03 Aug 08

Thanks fellas. job done.

skidzy 11:29 03 Aug 08

What partition program did you use in the end ?

marty03321 10:20 04 Aug 08

Partition Logic.

V easy to use.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…