Partitioning 250Gb external hard drive

Splodge 12:48 30 Aug 06

Good Morning:
I have Xp on one drive (120Gb) and Vista on another drive (200Gb) although I could move that one to another 120Gb drive.

I also have a 250Gb Western Digital USB2 external drive which I would like to partition to make it a back-up for the two operating systems.

Can anyone point me to an easy (and cheap) program to do that.

And, will it be a problem to copy across since the 200Gb only contains about 110Gb currently?

Thanks in advance!

anskyber 12:51 30 Aug 06

click here|623991677&gclid=CP38iLSsh4cCFTeEEAodQ2pAZA

jimv7 12:53 30 Aug 06

Instead of partitioning, why not just create separate folders for xp and vista on the external drive.

Splodge 13:07 30 Aug 06

To answer the 2nd reply first, I have Acronis v8 but that does not let me partition the USB Drive... will v9?.

Second, If I use files, I cannot reformat my main drive and then make a mirror copy as I usually do with Acronis (I have another 120Gb drive which I also use) so that I can change the jumpers and the second drive immediately runs, or will it?

Bit stupid really aren't I. I should have kept all my drives the same size!

DieSse 13:10 30 Aug 06

Windows will let you partition the drive. In the Control Panel, under Computer Management, then Disk Management.

DieSse 13:14 30 Aug 06

BTW - I'm not sure if Acronis will let you clone to seperate partitions, as opposed to drives. Clone a drive generally means just that - a physical drive. I don't know the latest versions, you'll have check the documentation.

Images are much simpler in that repect, and you don't have to partition to store images - though reloading an image takes longer.

Splodge 13:25 30 Aug 06

I have been looking at that path: it will let me format but I cannot see any opportunity to divide the drive into separate paths!

What am I missing?

Splodge 13:27 30 Aug 06

However, I will try the file approach, if I doesn't work I can always return to my current format using Acronis!

Thank you for your advice!

Splodge 14:13 30 Aug 06

Thanks for the pointer; I went to the Western Digital web site and it gave the same instructions as you but went on with further instructions.

I have successfully set partitions!

Thanks again!

woodchip 14:14 30 Aug 06

It's not Acronis True Image that does it. You need Acronis Disc Director Suite 10 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…