partitioning 200gb hard drive

byfordr 10:15 13 Oct 03

I've got a Dell8300. I am trying to install a 200Gb Maxtor D'Max Plus 9 (8MB Cache) Model: 6Y200P0 - 7200rpm as the primary master. I have installed xp, installed service pack 1, run big disk enabler (maxtor) and am trying to partitioning the drive using the software from the maxtor website. However I can't seem to partition the drive (without wiping everything).

Can anyone tell me the way to do this...or recommend some good free partitioning programs.

Or do I need to bite the bullet and purchase partition magic?

Cheers

R

byfordr 10:54 13 Oct 03

bump

MAJ 11:01 13 Oct 03

You need to bite the bullet, byfordr.

byfordr 11:08 13 Oct 03

cheers Maj...thats what I was thinking, after trying several combinations, reinstalls and getting now where. Will duely purchase a copy, unless anyone else can come up with anything else.

R

MAJ 11:19 13 Oct 03

Why don't you install the disk as a slave, first, byfordr, then download MaxBlast3 from Maxtor click here and partition and format the disk, bEfore changing it to Master and installing XP.

byfordr 11:26 13 Oct 03

I tried that. I can partition the drive ok. However xp doesn't recognise drives that are over 137gb until service pack 1 has been installed. So you need to run the override from maxblast 3, which I did. Xp installs ok, I update with SP1. Run the big drive enabler. Then run maxblast3 for windows, but I can't find a way to set the partition up to the correct size ie 200gb.

byfordr 16:36 13 Oct 03

bump

SEASHANTY 16:45 13 Oct 03

^

mark e 17:00 13 Oct 03

What about partition magic. This allegedly partitions disks without deleting the OS and I am led to believe the latest version is ok for XP.

Mark

byfordr 18:13 13 Oct 03

It looks like I will be swiftly making a purchase of partition magic. Although I have read that there is problems with XP

mark e 18:28 13 Oct 03

try a search and read the write ups. or start a new thread I'm sure someone on this forum uses it.

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…