Partitioned hard drive not happy with letters

MANDYJIM 19:59 18 Oct 03

I have a 120gb hard drive, letters allocated to the drives were A=floppy, C=120gb hard drive, D=rewriter, E=dvd player. I had to reformat and decided I would partition the hard drive at the same time. I have windows xp professional and all throughout the install i was under the impression the hard drives would be C and D. Upon completion of the partitioning and reformat which went very well I discovered the drives were now lettered A=floppy, C=90gb drive, D=rewriter, E=dvd player and the partioned hard drive given the letter F. I will no doubt get used to the lettering but I would have preferred the hard drives to have been allocated C and D. I have tried right clicking on the drive and renaming but all that happens is it sticks the F letter on the end. Can anyone suggest a way forward please?

powerless 20:01 18 Oct 03

Operating system?

Joanne_1 20:05 18 Oct 03

In control panel go to Administrative tools then Computer Manegment then Disc Managment, you can assign different letters by right clicking on the drive you want to change.

powerless 20:09 18 Oct 03

doh.

As Joanne_1 says you can change all drive letters from there apart from C:

Chnage your optical drives to X and Y then make the other partition D as the D letter will be available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…