partitioned drive

binabik 17:25 17 Apr 05

Hi All

A friend of mine has a partitioned drive using C + D drive letters, with windows on C.

By default programs he loads go to C but need to go to D

How do you change the default drive to which downloded programs go to to D ?

Thanks

binabik 17:28 17 Apr 05

windows is ME

Diodorus Siculus 17:34 17 Apr 05

Create a folder on D drive called Program Files.

When installing programs, direct them towards it.

Many programs don't like running off a drive other than C so it may be problematic. Why does your friend need to install them onto D drive?

binabik 17:58 17 Apr 05

C partition is just about full.
It's really only big enough for windows, so all programs need to go to D but default is C
When he put Easy CD Creator on, the installer gave him the option of changing the path to D.
Need to change the path to D\etc\etc as default if possible.
Can it be done in regitry?

Diemmess 17:59 17 Apr 05

Once, when using earlier versions of Windows, I used to make Ghost images of C: and it paid to keep C: small to speed up the save-and-restore for the OS against the day the system became bolshie!

I found that most apps would install on D: if at the point where it offered to place it in C:\Program Files\Application,... I just high-lighted the C bit and typed in ... D

The usual message then was D:\Program Files\App does not exist, do you wish to make a new folder? -to which the answer was Yes. OK.

Smiler 19:14 17 Apr 05

I don't think you can do it by default but surely it's not a problem to change the c\ to a d\ when instaling programs

binabik 21:23 17 Apr 05

The program he was loading didn't give him the choice as the first one did ( easy cd ),
it just started download to C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…