partition in XP

flobby 09:09 23 Feb 03

Hi all,
I have bought an OEM version of XP pro, and would like to install it, but when I tried over XP home I seem to have created a dual boot up and have to tell the computer to boot in XP home or my computer freezes on the windows set-up page for Xp pro. on reading a solution by temp003 in an earlier post It will (Hopefully) solve that problem? Then I wish to partition the HDD and install Xp pro. The final quest is How do I do it? can i do it from my system or should I buy something like partition magic. all the information I can find says use fdisc and DOS, and I thought XP does not use DOS.
Sorry it is long winded,but thank you for any help you can give,
Cheers, Colin

powerless 09:12 23 Feb 03

Just use whats on the XP disc, when the setup menus are displayed. You can repair, create, do whatever you want.

Creating partitions is one thing, I did this. I have to two partition C and D.

MAJ 09:17 23 Feb 03

And just because XP doesn't have DOS, doesn't mean you can't fdisk, you don't fdisk from Windows. Use a Win98 bootdisk to boot the PC and you can fdisk from there.

AndySD 09:36 23 Feb 03

Can you tell us the name of the thread or post the link to it and I can talk you through partitioning with XP.

flobby 11:00 23 Feb 03

Hi Andy,
The thread is click here (Sorry I do not know how to do links)
To answer powerless, the problem is I do not get the menu just a page and the onlything on it is "Windows set-up" either a blue screen or "windows set-up" a black screen depending on whether or not the CD is in and I am using the start from CD prompt.
I can not get any further than this, and I do not have a XP home disc as it was installed at the factory.
to answer MAJ I am sorry but what do i do to fdisc? I know I am pretty stupid, that is why i need all the help I can get.
Thanks again for all your help,
Cheers, Colin

AndySD 11:29 23 Feb 03

click here will help in the setup. You need to go into the BIOS (setup) on the PC and change the First Boot Device to CD Drive. To do this tap on Delete (or whatever the PC says) when you start the PC. Use the Arrow keys to highligt the seperate Pages and the Enter Keys to go to them. The Esc key moves you backwards. Find the First Boot and Highlight it then use the Page Up/Down keys to change it to CD. Hit Escape to go to the Main Page then Save and Exit.

Put in the XP cd and reboot the PC. At the screen asking which partition you can remove the partitions on the Drive. Then create a new on os Between 8 to 15 gig and leave the reat free. Choose to load XP onto this partition, It will format it for you.

When XP is loaded you can make new partitions in the free space by using XP's own Disk Manager.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management. But perhaps you can ask that in another thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…