Partition? what does it do?

I have just installed XP Home onto my Niece's rather old computer. It it is a 'Scott' with a 700 Mz celeron and a hard drive of about 8GB.

Having installed XP is shows a total capacity of 2.9GB and about 1GB free, and this is only with MS Works insatalled. Where's the rest gone?

My brother-in-law has previously used a program on the PC to try and get the old original 'Windows ME' going again to no avail(Hence me buying XP for them) but during his attempts setup a particion.
It gave him options for its location of between 1000 & 7000 or something and he set it at 3000 for no apparent reason.

I have no idea really but wondered whether this particion business has something to do with the lack of available hard drive space?

I would be most grateful for any advice or guidance.

Diodorus Siculus 16:16 18 Sep 04

Right click on my computer

choose manage

disk management

see what it says there about the disk - ie how much is visible, in use and so on. It may be possible to format the rest and make it available.

Stuartli 16:17 18 Sep 04

A full Microsoft Support rundown on the subject:

click here

mosfet 16:59 18 Sep 04

I would say you need the whole 8GB for XP,I should start again.

start again and 'do away' with a partition whatever that is?

mosfet 17:15 18 Sep 04

Yes,make 1 full partition = 8GB...Les

Thanks Les I'll try that and see what happens.

Diodorus Siculus 18:10 18 Sep 04

A partition is simply a section of a harddisk.

The hard disk can have just one parition - i.e the whole of the available space, or multiple partitions - each will show up in "my computer" as seperate disks.

With 8gb there is little point in creating partitions.

Thanks for everyones help and knowledge, started again as per Les2 instruction with 1 full partition and everything fine.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…