Partition on slave HD - HELP !!

HenryT 00:54 18 Sep 05

I have installed a slave HD on my PC. It was given to me by a colleague.
It seems to have 2 partitions. In 'computer management' it tells me the following.....

'Basic 111.79 GB online'

then......

'48.2 GB NTFS healthy' (first partition ? )

'62.96 GB free space' (second partition ? )

However , in Windows Explorer , I can't seem to get access to the second partition. How do I make this active?
Thanks

LastChip 01:08 18 Sep 05

The sector of the drive that refers to free space has not been formatted, so it's available, but not usable until the format takes place.

Go back into disc management and format that partition. You will then be able to see it in Windows Explorer.

HenryT 01:31 18 Sep 05

Thanks for your help.
I have now formatted that partition and its accessible. Is it now possible in Disk management to merge the 2 partitions into 1 big slave HD ?
Thanks again

Chegs ® 07:26 18 Sep 05

Easiest way to sort the unwanted partition is to delete them both in disk management then recreate(or simply format)

HenryT 10:05 18 Sep 05

Hi Chegs

Thanks for your reply.
I am a techno-fool and my question is....
If I delete both partitions in Disk Management , how do I 'create' them again. (Cos normally if you delete , say, a text file , theres nothing left to right click on !!!)
Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:24 18 Sep 05

delete the partitions.

right click the drive create one large partition and reformat.

HenryT 10:36 18 Sep 05

Thanks to LastChip, Chegs and Fruitbat.
Between you , you helped a floundering man sort it all out and gain a little knowledge in the process !!
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…