Partition Query OS - XP

David4637 13:36 29 Mar 05

I used Acronis Partition Expert to create a new partition leaving the C: Drive with the OS and a D: drive for the data. It all seems to be OK except when I look at the D: drive in Explorer it shows a folder called System Volume Info. When I click on this folder a dialog box appears saying "D:System volume info not available Access denied."
This folder can not be deleted. Whats it all about? Thanks David

TomJerry 13:42 29 Mar 05

the OS need to write something on HDD for house-keeping purpose, do not try to delete it

if you really do not like it, go into folder option to tick hide system files

SANTOS7 13:44 29 Mar 05

System Volume Information . It's actually a part of System Restore; the tool that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer. The System Volume Information folder is where XP stores these points and associated information that makes them accessible. If you have System Restore enabled but don't see this folder, go into [Tools] [Folder Options] [View] and click the radio button next to [Show Hidden Files and Folders] and it will be visible.

David4637 16:01 30 Mar 05

Thanks to you both for your replies, I do have system files visable. I can now see the logic in your replies. However just one further point, I have "switched off" sys restore on the D: drive because it has only data on it. Would you expect these files to be there on the D: in this situation . Can you see these files on your partitions on the non OS drive? Thanks David

SANTOS7 16:10 30 Mar 05

To see the files I think you have to make the rule for each drive, if you move the mouse pointer over the file for each non O/S partition you will see (as mine are ) the file is empty, as it is only your C\:
drive that you have enabled.

SANTOS7 16:10 30 Mar 05

To see the files I think you have to make the rule for each drive, if you move the mouse pointer over the file for each non O/S partition you will see (as mine are ) the file is empty, as it is only your C\:

SANTOS7 16:11 30 Mar 05

SANTOS7 16:12 30 Mar 05

sorry don't know whats going on at the moment. anybody else noticing anything strange happening.

dan11 16:50 30 Mar 05

re: strange behaviour

yes I replied to a thread earlier, it came back with cannot connect to server or similar. It posted my reply once out of 3 try's. :-)

mattyc_92 16:57 30 Mar 05

I also keep getting the "cannot connect to server" page when I type in this site's address, when browsing it and when repling....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…