Partition Problem

griffo 19:32 22 Jun 05

I've just purchased a Maxtor One Touch 11 250GB and tried to partition it into 6 equal (except last one, of course) partitions. I managed 4 of 40GB but the remaining 77.54GB stays unallocated and the 'new partition' option is greyed out. Can anyone please advise me how to overcome this?

griffo 20:45 22 Jun 05

As I can't seem to get any response to this question, may I try another tack? Is there a maximum number of partitions one can create on a hard drive? (thinking this might be the reason for my problem?)

mattyc_92 20:51 22 Jun 05

You can only have a maximum of 26 drives on your system (as this is the letters in the alphabet)

Your drive may not allow you to create another partition because the software you are using is limated... What software are you using? I recommend "PartitionMagic" from click here

griffo 20:58 22 Jun 05

thanks for the reply - I'm using Disk Management in XP as it's a brand new drive, isn't PM for partitioning drives already in use? I wondered if there's a maximum number of Partitions a drive can have?

mattyc_92 21:06 22 Jun 05

PM is for new drives and old drives (as long as the drive is reconised by Windows, partition magic can do... well.... its magic... lol)

I don't think there is a limit to how much partitions you can have on one drive... I have had (not so long ago) around 8 partitions on my 160gig drive... I have since changed them to about 5 partitions so I could add more space to the backup partition (as I use acronis true image).. And ALL partitions where managed (created, resized and removed) using PartitionMagic.

griffo 21:10 22 Jun 05

I don't doubt PM is good and may well be worth buying. I was rather hoping that it wouldn't be necessary as Disk Management was working fine until I tried to create the 5th partition.

mattyc_92 21:18 22 Jun 05

Have you restarted your system since discovering this problem?

Also have you looked at the "unallicated" space to see if there is anything that disk manager has added to it??? ie a error message below where it tells you it is unallicated?

Also, Have you just tried to create a smaller partition from the space left? as Windows requires you to leave at least 8 megs unallicated, but windows usually hides this space required...

VoG II 21:23 22 Jun 05

I fail to see the need or reason for partitioning drives, I really do. And why on earth would you want six partitions?

Sorry, this does not help you one iota but I am curious.

griffo 21:31 22 Jun 05

I intend to use this external drive on 3 different PC's. Principally to save upgrading my ageing laptop and make use of much faster machines that I already have. So I want all 'my work' and programs in one partition but also, it seems like a good idea to use other partitions for images (Ghost 9) of my other PC's in case of failures. Does that make sense?

dan11 21:32 22 Jun 05

" Is there a maximum number of partitions one can create on a hard drive? "

As mattyc_92 says 26. A+B are reserved for floppy drives. C, usually for the operating system. So you can have 23 separate partitions.

Windows XP will create those 23 partitions off the "C" drive. So you could have C-Z. I have tried this with the XP disk management software.

You say " but the remaining 77.54GB stays unallocated and the 'new partition' option is greyed out "

Is there any option available, when you right click the un-allocated space?

mattyc_92 21:35 22 Jun 05

Partitions can help keep your data safe... For instance... If you have 4 partitions c for o/s, f for system backup, g for storing work and h for storing your music and you get a virus, then you are more safer as YOUR files are on other partitions from where the virus would/usually is. So you just need to re-install windows at the most onto c again and you still have your personal files

Also it is alot cheaper than buying extra hard-drives all the time isn't it... ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…