Partition or Not???????

mpugh45 20:24 11 Dec 03

I have just purchased a new computer with a 120GB Hard Drive. With a drive this big, should I partition it? What is the advantage of using partitions?

GibsonSt19 20:33 11 Dec 03

Even if you just create a partition for your downloads and documents, that way if you need to reinstall Windows or format the Operating System drive, you won't loose all that data.

Bandy 20:47 11 Dec 03

I have a similar sized hard drive and keep one partition for the operating sytem; one for documents and general work, one for downloads drivers etc and one for temporary video etc. The last one I keep for images of the other drives.

It works very well for me

Gongoozler 20:56 11 Dec 03

To me the big advantage of having the operating system and programs in a partition separate from the saved files is that if it gets corrupted I can reformat and reinstall the software without losing any of the other files. I also have a separate partition for a backup of the C: drive to make it easy to restore after reformatting. This may not be as safe as backing up to a removable drive, but it has got me out of trouble on several occasions.

TBH1 21:26 11 Dec 03

if you don't partition this, and you need to restore your OS for some reason or the other (and we all do), you would lose everything. If you partitioned into 2, say, with 5gb for OS and remainder for everything else, then if your system became corrupted and you need to restore it, you would not lose the 115gb bit, or what ever.

TBH1 21:28 11 Dec 03

Plus (nearly forgot), it makes defragging a little more manageable - - though not by much in the above example, but certainly for your OS, in that example - - - this hole I'm diggin is getting deeper and deeper ain't ti ????
I'll get me coat

plsndrs3 21:31 11 Dec 03

Not much to add from me, except that all the postings above have really justified why a drive needs to be partitioned. At 120Gb, the drive would also take forever to defrag.

I would therefore also strongly recommend partitioning.

Regards,

Paul

matt45 21:36 11 Dec 03

So, I think I'll partition it in the follwing way:

> 5GB for the operating system
> 55GB for programs and games
> 20GB for music, video, photos etc...
> 20GB for files and...
> 20GB for backups

Thank you all very much.

TBH1 21:44 11 Dec 03

Just one more thing, and am not hijacking this but - - - if one was to partition in a manner similar to above, OS on one, programs on another etc etc - - -if the OS did need restoring, would the programs installed on one of the other partitions work ? Would the register thingy be OK ???

Mad Boy 22:03 11 Dec 03

Your lucky, i only have a 12GbHD, 2 partions: first 6GB for OS, other for me.

Gongoozler 22:11 11 Dec 03

matt45, I don't think it would be a good idea to separate the operating system from programs and games. When you install programs and games they are integrated into the operating system to such an extent that you can't treat them separately. I have in the past had them on separate partitions, and it really was too much of a nuisance. The installers default to the same partition as the OS, and in some instances the installation was split across the two partitions. If you did have to reinstall the OS, you would have to reinstall the programs and games anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…