Partition now showing as unformatted local disk?

Qdiddy 17:40 18 Jun 06

Hi,

I have a Maxtor 160gb HDD with two equal(ish) partitions. My operating system is on a smaller HDD, so the Maxtor only holds files.

I have just noticed that one of the partitions (the one that rarely gets used) is not showing it's volume name and is instead listed as a local disk. When I click on it, I get a message that it is not formatted and ask's me if I want to format it?

I have a number of home videos on this partition and will be gutted if I lose it. Can anyone give me a clue what might be going on and how I might recover the partition?

Many thanks, Qdiddy

woodchip 17:42 18 Jun 06

You can get this back, using Testdisk click here you need to run from a floppy disc and start computer with it in the drive

Qdiddy 20:34 18 Jun 06

Cheers Woodchip. I don't run a floppy drive anymore though. Can I run it from a CD?

I did have a look at the exe programme, ran the analyse function and it can see the partition I'm trying to recover. I've read some of the instructions that came with the Zip file, but I'm still unsure what I need to do to recover the file. Do I use the "write the partition structure to disk" command? I want to be sure before I start overwriting anything.

Thanks

woodchip 20:40 18 Jun 06

Check the site for CD version or you may be able to creat bootable CD and add the program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…