Partition New HD

tims31 23:25 25 Oct 05

Hi all

I know there have been lots of replies to HD partition questions but after reading them I am still a bit confused?? Sorry

I am about to take delivery of a Samsung 200GB HD and will install that as a slave and clone an image of that from my current 80 GB drive. Then install the new drive as the master and use the old as a slave. Thats what I want to do anyway but am still a little unsure of the way to go about it. Do I need to format and partition the new drive before cloning it or can I partition it after cloning it???

I see lots of people have recommended Partition Magic but this will be the only time I can see me doing this so don't really want to pay out the money for Partition Magic.

Sorry if this seems a bit of a strange way of doin things but at the moment this is what i understand????

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tims31

007al 23:42 25 Oct 05

if you use a cloning program,it should format the drive in the cloning session.you`ll be asked what size partitions etc you want on the disc.Acronis Mygrate Easy maybe useful.you can get a free version,if not,just get a trial version(you`ll only use it once)

Skills 23:52 25 Oct 05

I have a free version which I could mail to you if you require of acronis migrate, got it with last months PC Pro cover disk, it just requires online registration.

If you would like a copy mail me via the yellow envelope. Its an 8meg file or thereabouts

tims31 00:08 26 Oct 05
  Skills 00:14 26 Oct 05

Am sending it to your email above now

tims31 08:36 26 Oct 05

Thanks for all that. Will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

wobblymike 10:22 26 Oct 05

tims31 - you may wish to consider an alternative. You can download from the Samsumg website their version of discmaster which is a formatting and partitionng utility which you can then use to format your new Samsung HDD and partition it however you wish. You download the utility then run it to create a bootable floppy, so all you need is a blank floppy disc. You then boot to this floppy on startup, select setup the new HDD, you will then be offered easy or advanced installation, select advanced and you can then select as many partitions as you wish.

007al 20:12 26 Oct 05

but Acronis will copy the old drive!

tims31 22:36 26 Oct 05

Hi all

Well the drive arrived today and I decided to use the acronis migrate and all worked fine. I set up the drive with a partition the same size as my old drive and just copied it all across. Then set up another partition with the free space.

Haven't wiped the old drive yet....give the new one a few days to run itself in and see if we have any problems. If thats ok then I will be using the old drive for backups.

Thanks for all your help

tims31

Skills 23:23 26 Oct 05

Glad it worked for ya :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…