Partition my hard drive

boxclever 12:23 26 Nov 03

I'm completely new so please be gentle with me if I sound stupid. I have a 40gb hard drive split into three partitions when I bought the system from PC World.

C: = 20gb System
D: = 16gb BACKUP
E: = 3gb Recover

I have 5gb left on my C; drive is it possible to pinch some space fro D: drive without messing up. There is 14gb available space on D:

stlucia 12:30 26 Nov 03

There is software that will do just what you want, without messing up. The only name that comes to mind is Partition Magic, which you have to buy. But I'm sure others will shortly tell you about free software available on the net.

plankton 12:33 26 Nov 03

Why do you want to take the space? It would be easier to copy some of your data to D: from C:(and then delete from C:), or just use the D: from now on......

Ex Cossack 13:54 26 Nov 03

You could try the free disk manager from Ranish. Get it from click here

beeuuem 14:19 26 Nov 03

If still available the December edition of Personal Computer World had a full version of Acronis Partition Expert on the cover disk.

rowdy 14:30 26 Nov 03

Your machine will operate much better if you regularly clean out all the accumulated/unnecessary files and programs.

We all load programs that 'look' useful but months later they are just lying there taking up disc space and also clogging the registry.

Have a good look at your C Drive and clear out all the dross ( use add/remove programs in the control panel for all program removals ) . If you have the installation discs then it is pointless keeping rarely used programs installed.

Sorry if this is too basic.

rowdy

SEASHANTY 16:07 26 Nov 03

A partitioned 40GB HDD by todays standards isn't all that great - even shifting stuff between partitions will not help you much. Why not install a second hard drive - say 60 or 80GB. Much more cost effective. All the major drive manufacturers provide free software for transferring data between discs. You could then have "C" on your new drive with plenty of space available.

boxclever 16:10 26 Nov 03

Thanks very much for all the advice. I'm leaning towards the simple thing and moving files over to the "D" drive.

TBH1 16:15 26 Nov 03

I think plankton has probably the simplest solution here - - simply un-unstall from C then re-install to D, if programs, or simply move from C to D if data - - -and instead of saving things to C, save em to D. Try moving your document folder to D, see what you save. Contrary to public opinion, plankton does, on occasions, makes sense ;)

boxclever 18:40 26 Nov 03

Cheers to everyone for the help. I've done the easiest thing and moved my data over to D. Reclaimed 4gb of space from C.

plankton 19:05 26 Nov 03

"Contrary to public opinion, plankton does, on occasions, makes sense ;)"

Thanks TBH1, how's your bathroom (again!):oO

boxclever:

Sometimes simple is good, always look for the easiest solution before you try something tricky. :o))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…