Partition Magic and re-arranging drive structure

Diemmess 20:10 23 Jul 09

Octagenarian friend has over the years been managing with too many partitions.(XP SP3) All drives NTFS).

My plan was to use Partition Magic to give more space on C: which is baulking with only about 1Gb space left.

The C: drive was backed up with Acronis and the contents of all the subsequent partitions copied to a large External HD.... all in case of trouble.

I've spent most of today with him and his reluctant computer.
Until today PQM has never given me trouble, but having tried every which way to resize to give extra space on C:
PQM would allow resizing of every any drive except C:

I had to delete all everything, make the new ones, C: and D: and then restore the Acronis file to C:
Lastly 60Gb of data copied into D:

I left my friend supervising the last of the copying.

He tells me (10 miles away) that while all apps. work as they should, C: has reverted to around the previous 20Gb

What did we do wrong please?

Proclaimer 21:09 23 Jul 09

back to its original size (when you took the image). You can tell it not to and force a resize during recovery.

Diemmess 07:19 24 Jul 09

That seems possible.

Having had to wipe everything to be able to resize C:, we were only too relieved to have the system restored and did not check partition size until the data had been copied to the large D: drive.

A warning message I have seen when using PQM before was
"- - 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable"
I have ignored this. Perhaps it has nothing to do with an NTFS format.

Surely it should be possible to resize/subtract a few Gb from D: and then resize C: to include the newly made unallocated space.

xania 10:46 24 Jul 09

Using XP Pro SP2 (and now SP3) I have received this message every time I re-size a partition in PM, and ignored it without problem. I think it may only apply with earlier OS's. Unfortunately, since Symantec have taken over PM, support is not very good (i.e. virtually non-existent).

Diemmess 12:31 24 Jul 09

Visited again this morning.
This time PQM worked as it should. The shrunken C: drive had left a clear unallocated grey area which was readily alloted to C:
A new Acronis image was made of the larger drive C:
He's delighted, I am mighty pleased.

I think in retrospect that just as the original C: had been too small, the lack of elbow room on other drives had blocked the hoped for changes.

I also allowed an early message about letting PQM change a suspect extension to its own ExtensionX or something similar.

A pity that PQM has been virtually ignored by the new owners.
Perhaps it is just about as good as it gets and there is no chance of an upgrade attracting fresh money for an upgrade

Migwell 23:46 24 Jul 09

If you want a 'D' drive always use a sepreate drive. I have taken off the 'D' partition that was on my new laptop as it was just in the way, and causing cramped conditions for the 'C' drive anyway. There is NO point in partitioning a drive these days. With the price of hard drives and USB hard drives being so low you should always have a second drive to back up on. After all if a drive is partitioned and it goes belly up you still loose all the backed up info on the partition as well, so you loose the lot.

Diemmess 08:36 25 Jul 09

The question was "how to do it" not whether to do it. The problem was solved and ticked.

In the event that someone comes looking for answers about changing a partition structure I'd like to keep to the original point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…