Partition Magic & Linux Swap Partition

Mr Tibbs 21:09 21 Jan 06

I have a computer with Win 2000 installed and I want to create a partition using Partition Magic so I can install SuSE Linux 10. When I try to create a partition I'm told Linux will work better with a Linux Swap Partition and asks me if I want it before Windows, before new partition or after new partition. My questions are: Do I need to create a Linux Swap Partition at all and if so where is the best place to put it for both OS's to boot properly. Before Windows will stop Windows booting. Any help will be gratfully received.

Chegs ®™ 21:31 21 Jan 06

I would forget about PM and just boot off the Suse discs,the OS will see the windows install and partition the drive around it,then it will install a boot mgr(either LiLo or Grub)again where-ever you ask it to,either on the MBR or floppy to allow you the choice of windows or linux.

Mytob 23:53 21 Jan 06

As mentined above save your mony! Suse does it all for you and suggests a partition scheme for you which will include windoz. If you ever get onto slackware or gentoo then you will have to do this manualy as these are far more advanced. Btw welcome to the Linux comunity :)

Mr Tibbs 18:08 22 Jan 06

Thanks guys. I got the distro in a magazine which said I needed to use Partition Magic to set up a dual boot system. SuSE did in fact do the job for me with no fuss so it seems I wasted a few quid. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…