Partition Magic Compatibility

dahli 20:15 20 Jan 03
  dahli 20:15 20 Jan 03

I am running Windows ME (bless it!!) and have come across a magazine cover disk with Powerquest Partition Magic 5 on it. As I am looking to re-organise I thought it would be useful. However it says it only works in Win95, 98, and NT.

Will it work with WinME or is likely to create problems, does anyone know?

Thanks

Dahli

jazzypop 20:20 20 Jan 03

Apparently not, it appears - see click here

leo49 20:21 20 Jan 03

Native ME support was added in PM6. However flecc has posted here many times that PM can be run from the floppies created during installation. I've never used this method myself so I would wait for some confirmation.

Regards

Zoneclone 20:31 20 Jan 03

Yes it works on ME just create the 2 floppies on installation which is basically an ME boot disk and PM5 on disk 2.
Boot up with disk one and then at prompt swap floppies and it will boot into PM5.
Better still get System commander 7 from click here

dahli 20:36 20 Jan 03

Thank you folks. After following jazzypop's link I think I'll pay up for a later version to be on the safe side.
No free lunch today!!

Dahli

flecc 20:40 20 Jan 03

Confirmed, it was released for ME and XP because version 4 did not suit installation to that. It will install and run OK, or you can use the floppies as Zoneclone says.

Any Partition Magic or Drive Image version can be used by running them from the rescue floppies on any system. Even the old PM5 and DI 4 will run with ME/XP when used in that manner, and any Drive Image will also image and restore XP with NTFS as well.

Drive Image 4 is also available free this month on Computer Shopper's magazine CD, and that version was the best ever produced which I use all the time even though I own later versions.

dahli 20:42 20 Jan 03

Sorry zoneclone hadn't read your response. Thanks for the help System Commander looks to be a good option.

Dahli

flecc 20:45 20 Jan 03

As further confirmation, I use Partition Magic 5 on my multiple system which includes all main Windows versions, 98SE, ME, XP plus Lindows (Linux) without any ill effect.

I run it either from 98SE or from the floppies which your ME will produce for you automatically during the installation.

dahli 20:47 20 Jan 03

flecc

Will go ahead and give it a go. thanks

rickf 22:02 22 Jan 03

HI, I am thinking of getting system commander 7. Is it easier and more reliable to use than PM 8. The blurp seems to give me the impression that it is a better programme. Anyone with experience of SM7 or both SM7 and PM8 can shed some light on this please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5