Partition Magic 8 + XP lock up

slowhand_1000 18:05 27 May 04

OS XP Pro

I have installed PM8 but it locks up the pc as the splash screen opens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice.

I've installed it without any problems on my laptop running XP Home.

If all else fails and I can't use PM......

When in Disk Management the partition in question (120gb)shows as Healthy (Pre-formated FAT32) But when I right click on it there is no option to partition.

Does the partition have to be deleted and become unallocated before the New Partition option becomes available?

At this moment in time, if that is the only way, it is no problem as there is nothing on the drive. But if there was data on it !!!!

Apologies if this seems a daft question, but I've only just put XP on this pc and it's the 1st time I've been using it in anger.

Cheers

hugh-265156 19:59 27 May 04

is xp up to date? click here

maybe try having a look through symantecs KB click here

slowhand_1000 22:03 27 May 04

Thanks for the links huggyg71

I have just tried to run Drive Image 2002, another PowerQuest program, and got the same result.

XP is up to date. Got the latest update for Partition Magic. I had a look on the Symantec kb and noticed a link that had a heading 'System hangs loading PowerQuest programs' It suggested a compatibility check, tried it for both programs but to no avail.

hugh-265156 01:02 28 May 04

powerquest used to have such a good help site.

sadly symantec dont seem to do that just as well.

i have no idea sorry.just bumpin this up

ventanas 08:26 28 May 04

Drive Image could be the cause of your problem Version 2002 should not be installed on XP. You need DI7. Both versions are supplied in the latest release.

slowhand_1000 10:24 28 May 04

More cash to lay out :-(

Looks like it will have to be DI7 or Norton Ghost???

Chegs ® 10:48 28 May 04

I use DI 2002 and PM8 in XP Home with NTFS.To use either of these I use the "Rescue floppys" I created some time ago(before I changed from FAT32 to NTFS)I also tried DI7,but the .Net d/l screwed my XP so I reinstalled XP,applied all the updates(minus .Net)and used the floppys to create a backup of my C: partition(having used PM to partition my 240Gb RAID system)

slowhand_1000 11:12 28 May 04

Chegs

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. DI7 is only £30 at PC World so I'll go and get a copy and create a systemv restore point first.

Both DI 2002 and PM8 work fine on my laptop it's just the main pc that's causing the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…