Partition Magic 8

allstar 17:48 21 Jul 03

Hi

I have just bought pm8 as i wish to create a multi boot of:

WinXP Home
Linux Mandrake 9.1
Win98

I think i am right in sayin gthat the easiest and best way is to do a completely clean re-install after first saving all my files etc.

Can forum members recommend a good order to install these OS's and in which order?

Not sure what other info is needed.

Thanks

Tesman 20:21 21 Jul 03

Win 98, XP and Mandrake in that order. It's preferable that you leave unallocated space at the end of the drive for Mandrake - the installer will automatically create it's own partitions.

allstar 21:09 21 Jul 03

thanks tesman.
i'll leave the thread open for a bit to see if others have any input.

woodchip 21:15 21 Jul 03

Win98, XP, leave free space on your drive for Linux it will configure the partition it's self.

allstar 21:17 21 Jul 03

thanks woodchip.

zanwalk 21:27 21 Jul 03

The advice above is correct as to the order of installation. The only thing to watch is when installing Mandrake, use the manual or expert install rather than the automatic, as you will then have a choice of filesystems (Reiser/Ext2/Ext3,etc), choose Ext2 or Ext3 as these are the only Linux ones that PM8 will recognise, and therefore you will be able to use Bootmagic.

Also, make a boot floppy when installing Mandrake, and don't install the Lilo bootloader to the MBR.

keith-236785 21:42 21 Jul 03

as far as i know (i read it somewhere) if you partition your hard drive into three, drive c: for XP, drive D for win98 and the remaining space for linux.

Format the first two partitions but not the last one, linux will sort that out, I dont know about linux bootmaster so i cant comment but i believe you should install win98 first on drive D, then winXP on drive C, win XP will sort out the boot up choice for the two windows. no doubt someone will correct me if i am wrong.

good luck anyway

ps. i really must have a go at linux sometime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…