Partition Magic 8

Ivor_Monkey 17:46 20 Sep 04

My second hard disk (seagate 160 gb) shows various partitions (including recovered data) when using wndows explorer and PM8 rescue disks -as it should. But I find that when using PM8 thru widnows the disk is just showing as "bad"- no separate partitions. I was messing around with PM8, but partitions are still there when using windows exploer ad rescue disks and are accessible.

I want to install XP and programs on 40gb partition on disk 2 and then pics, music and doc on separate partitions. Disk 1 (maxtor 40gb) currently has old copy of XP, but I intend to use this disk to store image.

Questions:
1) Because PM8 thru windows is showing disk 2 as bad do I need to reformat the entire disk?

2) Do I need to switch drives from primary master and slave if the current boot is from disk 1, which I will eventually use as the backup?

Thanks

Ivor_Monkey 21:23 20 Sep 04

bump for the night shift

keith-236785 22:02 20 Sep 04

it may be possible that the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the second disk has become corrupt making PM2 report it as bad.

download a windows98se startup disk from click here, write to a floppy, then reboot with the floppy in the drive (you will need your boot order set to floppy first).

at the menu, press shift+F5 to goto dos prompt A:>

type D:

prompt should change to

D:>

then type fdisk mbr

that should restore the mbr of the second disk (replace D: with the letter of your second drive)

Ivor_Monkey 09:06 21 Sep 04

Thanks, but do I really use a windows98se startup disk when I will be putting XP on disk 2 and XP already exists on disk 1?

Please confirm. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…