Partition Magic 6 init failed error 117

FredM 18:46 12 Feb 05

This a a two year puzzle. Mobo:Gigabyte GA7VRXP F12 Bios (latest); Win 98SE; PM 6 will not run stating that partitution drive letter cannot be identified.

Now the GA7 BIOS automatically detects the HDs aand does not display them.

Is this the problem and is there a work around?
None of the cures posted on the web works.

I cannot install Win XP either which states that it cannot detect a hd! Just locks up after preparing to install even though I was hoping to install this onto another HD.

I have installed dual boot systems on other mobs with no hassle.

Diodorus Siculus 19:08 12 Feb 05

Have you tried to repair the master boot record?

Zeppelyn 19:16 12 Feb 05

Fred,

If you created rescue disks for PM6 then you can run it by booting from those 2 disks. It runs in DOS and does'nt use drive letters. From here you should be able to idenfify the problem. Also run Scandisk, this might find and fix any hard disk error. Rescue Disks can also be created from Tools menu.

Hope this helps

FelixTCat 19:18 12 Feb 05

Go into the BIOS and there should be an entry to identify drives. If you run it, it will check the master and slave drives on both IDE channels and show you the results. It is possible that you have fitted a hard drive which is too big for the motherboard to identify and you may need a BIOS update or some sort of disk management software that enables the BIOS to identify and manage the drive.

FredM 19:32 12 Feb 05

How do I repair the MBR? My Bios correctly identifies all disks and sizes. PM6 will not even show partition info although the preview fuction identifies all partitions in detail and this seems correct.

The recue disks won't even run. On the second disk
iot tells me to reboot and press the space , then reload disk; doewn't work either; complete waste of time.

Why won't XP install into a 20G slave hd when 98SE does with ease on the master?

FelixTCat 19:35 12 Feb 05

Boot to dos and type "fdisk /mbr"

If the master boot record has been damaged this may repair it. Be prepared to reload Windows. You do have a boot disk, don't you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…