partition magic

jarek5000 11:21 08 Jul 04

I divided my hard drive using Partition Magic. I created 3 primary partitions and one Extended. Wind XP is in one partition. When I tried to install another O.S. get message "Already have 4 Partitions" and don't let me do it. What is wrong?. Thanks

seedie 12:50 08 Jul 04

I think there is a limit to the number of primary partitions you can have and trying to add another OS will bring it up to 5. Can you delete a couple of later partitions and let the new OS do the work?

CD

SANTOS7 14:04 08 Jul 04

I'm at a loss as to why you want two O/S on one HD, although partitioned if your HD fails you have gained nothing, if you open P/Magic under pick a task you will see "install another Operating system" under that you will have the choice of tips or view instructions it will tell you there what you need to know

TomJerry 14:09 08 Jul 04

Primary partitions are for OS installation, so do not have so many if you are not install so many OS. Yes I think 4 is the limit.

SANTOS7, there are many reasons to have more than one OS on the same HD.

SANTOS7 14:16 08 Jul 04

But what i said was IF your HD goes terminal you have gained nothing, i can understand if you want to dual boot but its not much of a backup when/if your HD goes t*ts up

TomJerry 14:29 08 Jul 04

If one area of HDD damage, you can still boot up from other area and recovery as much as you can. But this is not the only reason.

Some software/hardware only work on certain version of OS. Also a PC with more than one user, especially you can set up one system for kids and they only mess up their part, not your working part.

SANTOS7 14:47 08 Jul 04

I am up to speed now on your O/S on same HD and can see why it is in part a failsafe if anything should happen I may even do the same, the only other problem we have,poor old jarek5000 has somewhat been left behind, a bit more study into his/her original problem me thinks.

SANTOS7 14:57 08 Jul 04

IN answer to your question you can only have FOUR partitions as described below

Types of Partitions

There are three types of partitions:

Primary Partitions
Extended Partitions
Logical Partitions

Primary and extended partitions are the main disk divisions; one hard disk may contain up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition. The extended partition can then be further divided into any number of logical partitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…