Partition external HDD

Noldi 15:51 22 May 06

Can anybody give me a idea the best way to partition a external HDD used for back up. I was told that you can do it with Windows XP?.

Noldi

Pamy 16:26 22 May 06

Why partion?

Pamy

Noldi 16:38 22 May 06

Because when I clone the C drive it clears the whole disc.

Pamy 16:41 22 May 06

So I do not understand your reason to partion?

Pamy

stlucia 16:45 22 May 06

You might be able to with Win XP. Look in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and there's a folder for Logical Drives. I'm not at my own PC at the moment, so I can't remember if there's an option to partition them there.

If not, you'll need Partition Magic or one of the freebies.

Noldi 16:46 22 May 06

If I dont then I must clone the C drive without clearing all the data from the external drive?.
If that is possible then I dont need to partition.

Pamy 16:49 22 May 06

Once cloned, I believe that you can do incremental updates, ie. you only update the data that has changed since last update.

Pamy

Noldi 16:55 22 May 06

I have 4 C drives to clone. 1 work PC,1 home PC, and 2 Laptops (1 private 1 work)

So on friday I got my new 200 GB external drive to clone all my C dives 1 st one went well second one over write the first pluss I would like to keep my photos on thier own.

Noldi

Noldi 16:59 22 May 06

Thanks so far

Must go home im 1 hour in front of UK.

so I will check postings when im home.

Noldi

pj123 17:04 22 May 06

Try Ranish, free from:

click here

Pamy 17:16 22 May 06

So Noldi, the picture at last becomes clearer. Do you think 200Gb is enough to clone your four computers HD's?

I am unable to offer you any more help, perhaps the real experts can now advise you as to the best way to back them all up.

Pamy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…