Partition to external hard disk

drew645 13:37 15 Jul 04

Hope someone can help me on this.
I am attempting to copy an entire partition to an external hard disk as a back-up. I first tried Norton Ghost 2002 which supposedly has USB support. However it stated no USB connection found.
I then tried to do it direct from Partitionmagic 7 which recognised the external hard drive but gave a maximum file size of 0.00Mb! So no luck there.
Finally I made the partition to be copied unhidden and simply dragged it from "My computer" on the active partition to the external hard disk. This worked but whether I can raise it from there in the event of a system crash I have no idea.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers
Andrew

cga 14:09 15 Jul 04

Partition Magic 8 should be able to do this from within Windows so should have no problem. Sorry I cannot be more certain as I dont have an external hard disk.
Same goes for Ghost 2003 - although I have not forked out for this yet due to the probs I have with 2002.

stylehurst 14:33 15 Jul 04

You state in your message Partition Magic 7; can you confirm that you really meant Tru Image 7. Partition Magic is only for partitioning a HDD.
True Image 7 will definitly work to a USB type external HDD. I use one here and have made it work in both directions on several occasions.
I assume before you started that you partitioned & formatted your external HDD.
Once this is done then True Image will definitely write an image file to the HDD.
Regarding your method of using drag & drop; it is unlikely that you would be able to use this in the event of a HDD failure.
You don't say what OS you are using so cannot comment regarding USB etc. Check your device drivers to see if all OK.

drew645 20:40 15 Jul 04

Thanks to both for advice.
Definitely Partitionmagic 7, I assumed that as it recognised the external hard disk I should be able to copy to it. It wouldn't allow it so you're right, but it was worth a try!
I'll see if its possible to upgrade to Partitionmagic 8, if not I'll check out Tru Image.
Incidentally I found Norton Ghost excellent for copying to CD, once I got past the learning curve!
Cheers,
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…