Partition to external hard disk

drew645 13:37 15 Jul 04

Hope someone can help me on this.
I am attempting to copy an entire partition to an external hard disk as a back-up. I first tried Norton Ghost 2002 which supposedly has USB support. However it stated no USB connection found.
I then tried to do it direct from Partitionmagic 7 which recognised the external hard drive but gave a maximum file size of 0.00Mb! So no luck there.
Finally I made the partition to be copied unhidden and simply dragged it from "My computer" on the active partition to the external hard disk. This worked but whether I can raise it from there in the event of a system crash I have no idea.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers
Andrew

cga 14:09 15 Jul 04

Partition Magic 8 should be able to do this from within Windows so should have no problem. Sorry I cannot be more certain as I dont have an external hard disk.
Same goes for Ghost 2003 - although I have not forked out for this yet due to the probs I have with 2002.

stylehurst 14:33 15 Jul 04

You state in your message Partition Magic 7; can you confirm that you really meant Tru Image 7. Partition Magic is only for partitioning a HDD.
True Image 7 will definitly work to a USB type external HDD. I use one here and have made it work in both directions on several occasions.
I assume before you started that you partitioned & formatted your external HDD.
Once this is done then True Image will definitely write an image file to the HDD.
Regarding your method of using drag & drop; it is unlikely that you would be able to use this in the event of a HDD failure.
You don't say what OS you are using so cannot comment regarding USB etc. Check your device drivers to see if all OK.

drew645 20:40 15 Jul 04

Thanks to both for advice.
Definitely Partitionmagic 7, I assumed that as it recognised the external hard disk I should be able to copy to it. It wouldn't allow it so you're right, but it was worth a try!
I'll see if its possible to upgrade to Partitionmagic 8, if not I'll check out Tru Image.
Incidentally I found Norton Ghost excellent for copying to CD, once I got past the learning curve!
Cheers,
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…