Partition and backup.

the old man 09:42 09 Jun 06

I have 2 HDD's, 1 X 160GB as C: drive, 1 x 80GB as D:drive. Also have a CDRW and a pen drive of 2GB. Have all games on D with a couple of backups and a few folders holding music and digital photos.
When the new C drive was installed for me it was not partitioned. What I want to know is, can I partition the drive now without reinstalling OS (XP Home) or deleting anything else on C drive.
I have had a look around on the forum for some info but could not find anything, or could just be looking in wrong places.
Could anyone give me recommendations for software to partition the drive and one to do backups. Have looked at likes of Norton Ghost and Acronis 9, Partition magic.
I have a feeling that I have not got the drives set up properly anyway. Good enough for backups to partitions, breaking down the drives to more manageable chunks i.e. 160gb down to 4 partitions of 40gb each and possible the 80gb down to 2 partitions of 40gb each. I am probably totally wrong on that as well.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:35 09 Jun 06

Ther is no need to partition in the year 2006 and you will notice no difference in speed and there is no need to break the disks down into chunks, you will have no benefit and there is a slight risk of fubar. I would use the smaller disk as a backup store. Buy Ghost or Acronis and backup to that disk and also us ethe disk as a further backup of music and documents.

A much better idea would be to have an external disk for a backup. You can keep the disk away fromt he computer and use it on other computers. You can run programmes from it with no noticeable loss of speed.

G

terryf 11:50 09 Jun 06

IMO you would be better off to swap the drives around so that the smaller drive is the C drive with only os and progs and all data is kept on the d drive

stylehurst 13:59 09 Jun 06

IMHO the benefits of partitioning a HDD are that one can keep data separate from OS & programs. Data needs to be backed up more often than an OS or programs.
Regarding Partitioning or Back up software I would thorougly recommend Acronis programs.
I have tried Norton Ghost but think Acronis True Image is easier to use.

ade.h 16:20 09 Jun 06

"IMHO the benefits of partitioning a HDD are that one can keep data separate from OS & programs."

I second that. You only have to re-install the OS once to appreciate the fact that your files will remain undisturbed by any re-format.

ed-0 16:36 09 Jun 06

and I think they are benefits from it.

" i.e. 160gb down to 4 partitions of 40gb each and possible the 80gb down to 2 partitions of 40gb each. "

Then acronis disk director is ideal for this. As long as the free space is there, it will partition any drive, including "C", without losing any data or settings.

woodchip 16:39 09 Jun 06

To your first post YES by using Acronis Disc Director 10 you can make the OS partition smaller, then create a new partition click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…