Partition Advice

Solva 13:03 21 Jun 07

I've bought a new system and I am thinking of partioning the drive. I have about 80GB and Im thinking of making a partion for Multimedia, Utilities, software and then normal storage. I am not quite sure of the benefits so any advice on why to partition would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Press Man 13:13 21 Jun 07

Benefits of having at least two partions is that the OS can go on the C: partion and your personal data etc can go on the other partion. If for some reason the OS gets messed up and you have to reinstall you will not lose your personal data. Having said that, always back up your personal data either on cd, dvd or to an external drive. Hope this helps!

Solva 13:17 21 Jun 07

Thanks i does, Is their a benifit of creating multi partions on say a 60gb HD?

I was wondering if for example you had a app which had all its data stored on 1 small partion it might make it run faster as the system doesnt need to access the whole HD. Especially when the HD Is becoming increasingly larger. Is this correct.

Thanks

Press Man 13:53 21 Jun 07

Personally I would only have two partions on a 60GB disk, but you can have what you want. As to whether or not an app would run faster on a small partion as you suggest I can not say, but am sure someone here can.

Solva 12:18 22 Jun 07

Any Ideas on if you put an application on a specific partition if it would run quicker as it would have less data to access. And also whats the optimum amount of partitions you should have.

Thanks

Batch 15:49 22 Jun 07

You'll find further discussion on this partitioning at:

click here

and

click here

It is arguable that partitioning a disk and therefore spreading the data to diverse locations may make things marginally slower. This is because the slowest part of a disk operation (by far) is the physical movement of the heads in and out across the disk. The reading / writing of the data once on station (i.e. at the required cylinder) is relatively fast as is the transfer from the disk across the bus to memory.

Keeping your partitions defragmented helps minimise physical head movement (by helping keep the parts of each file in a contiguous area as a single unit) and therefore improves performance.

Solva 16:39 22 Jun 07

Thanks Batch,

They were really informative

Solva 12:06 26 Jun 07

Another question. Why do you need this type of software to create a back up? Surely you can just copy the entire contents of the hard drive over to an external one and then re-install the OS and copy back the copied HD from the external dirve in the event of a hardware failure?

Solva 12:49 26 Jun 07

Ok was going to try to just copy the contents of my laptop HD To an external but it might take a long time. Can anyone confirm that this would work without the help of 3 party software.

Thanks

Batch 18:29 26 Jun 07

A normally copy wouldn't successfully the entire copy of your C: drive due to some of the files being protected / in use.

Even if you could, if you then re-installed the OS and then tried to copy the backed up stuff back, you'd be trying to overwrite the OS (as you would have backed it up).

In simple terms, you can back up (and restore) your own data (typically under My Documents), plus things like emails and address book (but you need to know what you are doing with these).

You cannot back-up (and sucessfully restore) Program Files alone (i.e. without the OS) as installed programs are closely bound with the registry and system files etc.

Basically what you need is a program such as Acronis True Image which will manage the whole thing for you. It will back up any partition (including your system partition - e.g. C:) and restore it. When restoring the typical system partition (C:) it will reboot into a Linux shell (i.e. not in Windows) so that it can do the necessary (which is to delete the old partition and restore the back-up one) - you just would not be able to do this is Windows as it would be necessary to delete / overwrite things that are actually in use in Windows.

You can also restore individual files from a True Image back-up.

Solva 16:58 27 Jun 07

Thanks Batch.

As I am starting out I have started with NTback to see how it goes before I invest in a formal piece of software like Acronis. So far so good with NTBackup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac