Partition Advice

chriscross72 12:55 31 Oct 04

I have a copy of 'acronis partition expert personal 2003'
I used this to partition my hard drive into two partitions (approx 30gb and 10gb)with a view to installing windows xp onto the smaller partition to try it as I am currently using windows 2000 pro.
After following the instructions my hard drive was apparently partitioned sucessfully.
On restarting the pc I could see that the drive space had changed suggesting that the partition had been created,I was unable to find the new partition -labeled F drive-by looking in 'my computer'
The other drivers were shown ie. C drive and the two dvd rom drives and floppy drive but no sign of the new partition.
Have I done somethingwrong or is there something else I should do to make the new partition visible ?
Will I be able to install XP onto the new partition and put things onto it as a normal hard drive and still get the choice of booting into either wondows 2000 or XP at startup ....or should I just leave thngs alone ??
Thank you : ))

PGlad 13:23 31 Oct 04

You probably need to format the new partition before it becomes visible to Windows. The simplest way to do this is to boot using the XP CD. You will need to change the BIOS settings to make the system boot from a CD first (remember to change this back), then choose the option to boot from CD when prompted at start-up, the XP disc will enable you to choose a partition, format it, and then to install the operating system on the partition.

rusty 15:37 31 Oct 04

Go back into Partition Expert, if the partition was made it should be visable one the bottom of the screen,

select this partition,then go to the toolbar- Disk and select Format.

A new screen will pop up asking you which format you require.

After format has finished. reboot and it wll then be visable in my computer.

If any doubts, there is an excelant help manual in the help files .

Rusty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…