partition

123joey123 12:00 01 Jun 09

I have partioned my hard drive and now would like to put a back up copy of windows in drive D.
Is there a special way of doing this?

chub_tor 12:08 01 Jun 09

I used Disk Director 10 which I got free with Acronis True Image to copy one partition to the other but there is some doubt that it works with Vista. A Google search will find wny number of partition copy programmes.

xania 13:12 01 Jun 09

I don't recommend this approach but there is a simplere way of doing this. ensure you have a blank space at the end of your HHD large enough to accommodate the data on your C:\ then you merely copy the entire partition into the blank space. You may find that, the next time you reboot, the system will find both copies and ask you which one you want. Use the default - you can also amend boot.ini to reduce the time pause so this interruption is minimised.

123joey123 13:42 01 Jun 09

Thanks for that xania
I wonder if I can prevailon you to expand that a bit. As an not too bright computer user I am not sure how to o about it but it is along the lines I expected.Thanks for your help

xania 09:19 04 Jun 09

Sory its taken so long to get back to you. You will need a partition manager - I use Partition Magic, but there are free ones on the web, I believe.

click here

This tool provides you with a map of your hard disk showing all available partitions (probably in your case just the one). You can now right click on the partition you want to change and this then gives you the option to change its size (there are also drop menu options available) and, when this is done, this then leaves unused space which you can either use to copy one partiton to create a second with eactly the same structure or to create a new partition, say for data.

Take a look at click here

This shows the C:\ drive in the primary partition (left most purple box). The number of partitions you can have in the primary partion is limited and mainly used for multiple operating systems). all other partitons are created in an extended partition (right most light blue box with 2 purple boxes inside it). Always make sure your data is backed up before making any changes using this software - just in case things go wrong.

I work with a number of partitions, keeping C:\ to 10 GB purely for my Operating System, hardware drivers etc, D:\ for my data, E:\ for my programs etc. You can then leave a blank space into which you can copy your C:\ drive and this will be allocated te next available letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…