Partioning Hardrive

I am wondering what the Pros and Cons are of partioning my hardrive. A lot of my mates have done it, just wondering if it is of any benefit.

xania 19:36 26 Jun 06

Most recommend having a separate partition for your data to make backups easier. Frankly, I have my OS on one, my data on another, my software on a third etc and a backup of my OS on a final drive so that I can restore eassily without depending on Restore.

mattyc_92 19:43 26 Jun 06

I used to believe that partitioning is more "safer", which of course, it is but not much.

I have 2 160GB drives. One of which I partition into around 5 parts. XP is on one, Vista on another, Music on the third, Pictures on the forth and my other drive is used to backup all the data on the partitioned drive..
Partitioning just really helps organise your files (and *may* save your files from a virus attack). Of course, if your hard-disc fails, partitioning wouldn't save the files!!

Say for example I want a backup of my OS on a partion how would I go about it. Normally I use a 'ghost image' when I have a problem rather than doing a reinstall of windows. This may be more easier. Would it be like two PCs on one? Use 'C' for a while if I get a problem use 'F' whilst formatting 'C'?

wobblymike 19:44 26 Jun 06

I'm very pro partitioning I have one partition (typically 12GB) for my OS and applications. Another (typically 8GB) for my documents and data and then split the remainder up into whatever you do music, photographs, games whatever. If you are considering doing this I woul advise doing it at a time when you are reinstalling your OS i.e. reformat and partition then install OS and Apps. This is my view though I know there are differing views on this forum. hope it helps

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 26 Jun 06

Partioning Guide
click here

Diemmess 20:25 26 Jun 06

With the alteratives of removable and external HDs now easily available, partitioning has become less used.

Two reasons for extra "drives"
1)Multiboot systems
2)Regular image backups need (ideally) to be stored somewhere easily accessible in case of trouble.
This is no protection with everything on one HD however partitioned and the HD goes belly up!

What I do...
I have had an extra HD both internal and external for some time and the internal HDs are partitoned.
The primary carries several different OSs and most applications.
The secondary HD carries all current data and updated images of systems.
The external HD receives daily batch backups of data and past projects or out of date old personal data and projects for archival reference.
It is switched on only when necessary for access.

Ok, I have tried making a couple of partitions using Partition Magic 8. Problem is it keeps coming up with 'Error 983'- to many errors found. What is all this about?

SANTOS7 21:46 26 Jun 06
  User-312386 23:10 26 Jun 06

Personally i don't bother partitioning, I bought a 300GB HDD and have made an image if anything goes wrong.

You see if you partition and put your back up on there, if the HDD dies then you have lost everything

I say, get another HDD and put all your important docs on there.

Then again i don't use system restore as it is a system hog and a waste of 2-3gb on your HDD. If anything goes wrong, its normally time for a reformat and a Clean install.

Batch 08:56 27 Jun 06

1. It helps keep things tidy and discrete
E.g. System drive (OS & Apps); Frequently changed data drive (e.g. documents, email); Stable data drive (e.g. music, photos).

2. System drive can quickly and easily be imaged (using Acronis True Image or similar). As system drive does not contain user data it is relatively small (mine uses 4Gb on an 8Gb partition) it takes just minutes to back-up or restore (madboy33©® - how does that compare with reformat and Clean install?)

3. Data back-ups (of dynamic data) can be done as frequently (once an hour / day etc.) as you wish with minimal impact (mine takes a minute or two).

Obviously images / backups need to be to a different physical medium (e.g. another HDD, CD, DVD etc. etc.).

For frequently changed (dynamic) data, don't forget to include emails, address book, favourites, as well as documents. It can be worthwhile including Office templates as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…