Partioning Hard Drive

linsxxx 09:38 26 Oct 08

Help!

My hard drive died (or appeared to die) a couple of weeks ago. Rather than fiddle on with it when I didn't really know what I was doing I thought it might be easier to buy a new hard drive - then maybe later I could try to retrieve some of the data from my old drive.

Anyway I have bought a new drive and installed it. Now however when I start up my computer I get a message saying that one of the parameters is exceeded or something.

I wondered if this is because I haven't partioned it? I'm not hugely sure what partioning is tbh but I have heard of it!

Do you think that could be the problem? And if so how should I partition up my 160GB hard drive? I noticed in an earlier post someone recommended gparted, but I have no idea what to do with it. I haven't got any data on my comp yet - I've just reinstalled various programmes so in theory could start again from scratch if that's easier.

Thanks for your help!

linsxxx

mocha 10:20 26 Oct 08

Hi linsxxx

What version of windows are you using and what is the exact error message, this is important in diagnosing your problem.

Ex plorer 10:28 26 Oct 08

What was the original size of your hard drive.

linsxxx 10:35 26 Oct 08

Hello,

Sorry forgot to add that bit. Am using Windows XP. The error message says that the IDE checking something has noticed that one of the parameters is exceeded. This may or may not indicate a problem with the hard drive.

That's the gist anyway - will log off in a mo and write it down properly.

My old hard drive was 160GB and so is this new one. I'm so useless I even made sure I bought exactly the same make and everything so I couldn't stuff it up!

lins xxx

cream. 10:46 26 Oct 08

When it boots into windows, try this.

Right click my computer, scroll down to manage and then select disk management. A new window will open with your drives listed. look at disk 0, your C drive. What capacity does it say and does it say it has any unallocated space at the end of it?

linsxxx 11:53 26 Oct 08

it says:

189.92 GB NTFS
Healthy (System)

At the top it says:

C: Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 189.92 GB 181.87 GB (Free Space) 95% (Free Space%) No (Fault Tolerance) 0% (Overhead)

There are no other bits just the C:. No idea what all that means!

linsxxx

cream. 12:12 26 Oct 08

:-)

canarieslover 13:00 26 Oct 08

Has your bios been set to automatically detect hard drive or do you have the original settings in there? I can see from the report that you got that you have not replaced your 160gb with a 160gb but with a 200gb which is why it shows 189.2gb Healthy.

mocha 13:15 26 Oct 08

If those are the only messages then there is nothing to worry about. The easiest way to partition a drive is before you put the operating system on. A free DOS tool (fdisk) would do that for you. With the operating system already up and running you would have to partition it with a tool like Paragon Partition Manager although this is a commercial program. There are also Freeware programs click here that will do this for you. Make sure you read the instructions carefully when attempting to partition a hard drive and make sure it is capable of partitioning NTFS hard drives.

DieSse 19:48 26 Oct 08

"The error message says that the IDE checking something has noticed that one of the parameters is exceeded. This may or may not indicate a problem with the hard drive."

That sounds very much like a SMART message.

Run a SMART checking program for amplification.

click here

free trial will get you the info you need.

SMART error messages may indicate impending drive failure.

linsxxx 20:53 26 Oct 08

canarieslover - sorry i have no idea what that means! and had no idea I'd put in a 200GB hard drive either. sorry i'm really, really not v good at this at all.

lins xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…