Partioning +

new214 08:51 23 Feb 07

heya all, just wanted to know what does partioning do to the harddrive?? Ive seen the 2 other threads on here already but want futher info. what does it entail and are there any problems realated with it. Ive got a new pc but would it be adviseable to partion it.

How can i make my back so when i start up my pc i can choose which operating system to use e.g linux or windows xp and will there be a problem with security or any major problems realted to doing this?

recap 12:15 23 Feb 07

click here for an excellent read on partitioning.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:23 23 Feb 07

click here for a recent discussion.

G

new214 16:32 23 Feb 07

How can i make my windows xp boot up so that i have the option to load either linux or windows? I know its part of creating a partion but want to know the way to go about it.

Also if i do have 2 operating systems, if i load linux for example- would all my files in the windows partion appear in the linux operating system????

ed-0 17:40 23 Feb 07

" How can i make my windows xp boot up so that i have the option to load either linux or windows? I know its part of creating a partion but want to know the way to go about it. "

You need either a partition on your "C" drive or a separate ( slave ) drive. If you have just the "C" drive then you need to use software to create a partition on that disk. The best, you have to pay for. Acronis disk director is great. It will split the "C" drive and leave all your files intact. When you install Linux< it should install a boot loader< so you will have a choice of which operating system you boot into.

" if i load linux for example- would all my files in the windows partion appear in the linux operating system???? "

No, not as far as I'm aware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…