Partion or add a disk?

Taurus 16:36 18 Mar 03

Hi all;

A few months ago I upgraded from Win 98 to XP. I have few regrets other than that I am unable to persuade XP to run some of my favourite, albeit elderly games, 7th Guest, Phantom Menace, to name but two. I have decided that I will create a dual boot machine so as to get the best of both worlds.

My dilemma is this, do I pay out for a copy of Partition Magic and chop up my 27 Gb hard drive, or do I use the money to buy a second drive? Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of both or pass on any advice. I am almost sold on the idea of adding a drive, the thought of extra storage space is quite appealing, but I would really appreciate your comments.

Many thanks to you all, keep up the good work and let's all send up a small prayer that PCA are able to keep this excellant forum going. Thanks guys

Dave

Diemmess 16:50 18 Mar 03

Depends on how much you value your data.

I would partition anyway to keep a minimal C: drive with the o/s and barest essentials.
This is backed up as an "image file" in another partiton against the day when the o/s goes silly.

Better still when you can afford a second HDD for sanctuary, but that's my order of play.

Djohn 16:59 18 Mar 03

Agree with Diemmess, why not buy a second drive now, Partition it, and move your operating system and files over. Then format your current drive and use as you wish. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…